Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 15th, 2015, 10:08 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Thanks, everyone. It's been over a week and things are settling. Our two remaining indoor cats have been particularly sweet and cuddly. Here's a pic of Momo, our youngest doing her meercat imitation.[/quote]

Awwwwww. Glad they're helping.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 16th, 2015, 9:40 am

I love the meer"cat", what a pose to strike. Does she often sit like that?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed February 18th, 2015, 10:37 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I love the meer"cat", what a pose to strike. Does she often sit like that?[/quote]

Just enough to be cute when it happens--usually when she hears something and has to look over an obstacle. In this one, she was on the bed, heard something in the hall, and had to look over my knees (under the cover). I think this is the first time we've been able to catch her in a photo in that pose. Luckily, hubby was playing with his phone in bed and caught it. :)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri April 10th, 2015, 5:24 am

Might be AWOL for a few days to come. Mentally disturbed adult child gone off the deep end yet again. His spouse and child need support and comfort. And more doctors to explain the same things to again.

Feeling very tired.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat April 11th, 2015, 3:38 pm

So sorry to hear that, MLE. Sending energy your way.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: The Worst Thing Today

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 9th, 2016, 12:11 am

This shouldn't be such a 'worst thing' -- as someone who has bred/trained/packed llamas since 1981, of course I've lost hundreds of working llamas to plain old age. But today I put down CPL! Joshua Tree, 'Josh', the last of our old commercial pack string. He had hardly any teeth left and couldn't chew his cud, so he was slowly starving to death despite his special ration.
I know it was past time--he was about 110 in llama years, and the other 4 pack-llamas of the 1995 cohort are long underground. And I believe without a doubt that God takes all his creatures back to himself and that Josh deserved his rest.
But sitting there with his sweet head in my lap, I just felt all the years of hiking down the trail with Josh at my shoulder (or his father, or his uncle), all the young packers he has mentored, all the Public-relations and speaking gigs he has done with me, and I just bawled my eyes out.
Even my vet was surprised.
I'm getting maudlin in my old age.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 9th, 2016, 1:00 am

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:This shouldn't be such a 'worst thing' -- as someone who has bred/trained/packed llamas since 1981, of course I've lost hundreds of working llamas to plain old age. But today I put down CPL! Joshua Tree, 'Josh', the last of our old commercial pack string. He had hardly any teeth left and couldn't chew his cud, so he was slowly starving to death despite his special ration.
I know it was past time--he was about 110 in llama years, and the other 4 pack-llamas of the 1995 cohort are long underground. And I believe without a doubt that God takes all his creatures back to himself and that Josh deserved his rest.
But sitting there with his sweet head in my lap, I just felt all the years of hiking down the trail with Josh at my shoulder (or his father, or his uncle), all the young packers he has mentored, all the Public-relations and speaking gigs he has done with me, and I just bawled my eyes out.
Even my vet was surprised.
I'm getting maudlin in my old age.

*hugs*

You did the right thing. I know it's hard to make that decision.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 9th, 2016, 2:58 am

Misfit wrote: *hugs*

You did the right thing. I know it's hard to make that decision.
Thanks, Misfit. I knew this was coming--in fact, when I put it off a month so he could once more be the magi 'camel' in the local church's nativity play, I actually felt guilty waiting, because he was (underneath all the wool) just a rack of bones.
Josh and the pack llamas represented the whole middle section of my life. I still have a few, but they don't know and trust me like the ones I worked with so frequently. The packers of the 90s and 2000s were my friends; the ones my friend and I share now are merely acquaintances.
Oh dear, getting sniffly again.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 9th, 2016, 12:21 pm

So sorry to hear about your llama MLE, it sounds like he had a lovely long life with you, and was a real character.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 9th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Sorry about Josh, MLE. Our animals are like part of the family so can understand your distress. At least you know he had a loving home with you.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Chat”