Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat February 7th, 2015, 9:52 pm

So sorry to hear that, Faith. Cats occupy a special place in our lives.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat February 7th, 2015, 9:55 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Faith, pets are very special and part of the family.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 7th, 2015, 10:48 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]We had to have our elderly cat Chloe put down today. She's been frail for a year and suddenly blew up like a beach ball a couple of weeks ago. It turned out she had cancer and the tumors were leaking fluid. We're lucky our vet makes house calls, so she came to us and Chloe passed quietly surrounded by her home and loving humans. She was seventeen and had a good run. She was never a lap cat, but loved to follow me from room to room, just to be close. She will be missed.[/quote]

So sorry to hear this, it's never easy to lose a loved pet.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu February 12th, 2015, 12:19 am

Faith, I am so sorry; a blessing she was at home and y'all didn't have to make that too-quiet drive home. What a lucky girl she was, and sounds like you were too.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu February 12th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Thanks for all the condolences, everyone. I took my next oldest cat to the vet today for a booster shot and pay for Chloe's last moments and got a shock. The house visit by the wonderful sweet vet was....drumroll please...$7.50, which according to the itemized bill was actually for the drug, not the visit--that was free. On top of that, everyone at the vet's office today offered condolences from the receptionist to the techs to the vet (a different one). Lovely folks, one and all.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri February 13th, 2015, 8:38 am

Sorry to learn of your sad news, Faith. Take comfort from the fact that she had a happy life with you and she lived to a good age.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat February 14th, 2015, 2:53 am

Vets are wonderful, remarkable, compassionate people. Bless yours, and you, and next-oldest and your family.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 15th, 2015, 2:29 am

I'm sorry for your loss. They aren't just pets. They are are a family member. However, that was very nice of the vet. What a great place to bring your four legged family members!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 15th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Our vet used to send a condolence card, which was very sweet and immediately set us off again.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun February 15th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Thanks, everyone. It's been over a week and things are settling. Our two remaining indoor cats have been particularly sweet and cuddly. Here's a pic of Momo, our youngest doing her meercat imitation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Chat”