Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Advice...

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Book Advice...

Post by Nefret » Tue January 6th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Hi. I managed to update my collection with holiday money recently. Now I only lack four books- The Conquest, The Love Knot, Daughters of the Grail, and The Marsh King's Daughter. (I was planning to the Eleanor series when it is all out in paperback.) So, I was wondering which of those books to get next. I have read and liked the first two a few years ago, but I wanted to know more about latter before I decide. Thanks!
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 6th, 2015, 11:13 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Hi. I managed to update my collection with holiday money recently. Now I only lack four books- The Conquest, The Love Knot, Daughters of the Grail, and The Marsh King's Daughter. (I was planning to the Eleanor series when it is all out in paperback.) So, I was wondering which of those books to get next. I have read and liked the first two a few years ago, but I wanted to know more about latter before I decide. Thanks![/quote]

I liked The Conquest a lot, and it's like two books in one, second part is the next generation IIRC. The Marsh King's Daughter is another favorite, I like the twist on King John's treasure getting lost.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed January 7th, 2015, 11:39 am

I haven't read The Love Knot yet, but the other three are my favourites!

Misfit is right about The Conquest - it is like two books in one - but it has a lot more sad parts than other Chadwick novels I think. Still, a great story and very memorable.

I really loved The Marsh King's Daughter, I don't know why specifically but I just thought it was a really great story and characters.

And Daughters of the Grail is different to all the others. It contains supernatural elements and it's way more epic (I think I read somewhere, probably in the authors note, that EC was commissioned to write it so it could be made into a film, but it was later dropped?).

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 7th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Marsh King's Daughter was my first Chadwick read, and remains one of my favorite books. I knew the history behind the event; her take on what really happened was imaginative as well as well written as all of her books are

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Sun January 11th, 2015, 5:37 pm

I ended up with a credit for Book Depository, and got everything except 'Daughters of the Grail'. Now I just have to wait for them to come in the post.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon January 12th, 2015, 12:34 am

[quote=""Nefret""]I ended up with a credit for Book Depository, and got everything except 'Daughters of the Grail'. Now I just have to wait for them to come in the post.[/quote]

It would be nice if the older books were available on ebook, if the US publisher isn't going to do anything with them. Hint. Hint. Hint.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon January 12th, 2015, 11:19 am

[quote=""Misfit""]It would be nice if the older books were available on ebook, if the US publisher isn't going to do anything with them. Hint. Hint. Hint.[/quote]

Those ebooks wouldn't help me, as I will probably never get any sort of reading. I prefer to actually have the books I own, rather than have to use a file on another electronic I'd need to charge. They should just get re-published here someday.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon January 12th, 2015, 3:33 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Those ebooks wouldn't help me, as I will probably never get any sort of reading. I prefer to actually have the books I own, rather than have to use a file on another electronic I'd need to charge. They should just get re-published here someday.[/quote]

I still reach for owned dead tree books before the owned Kindle ones since I'm trying to clean up shelf space. When I have a choice from the library of dead tree vs Kindle, I take the Kindle. So much easier on the eyes, and lighter to hold up.

Speaking of dead tree books taking up the shelves, so many of my FOL sale and thrift store finds are getting ditilized and library is picking them up. I've got like eight grocery store paper bags worth of books ready for a charity store pick up.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon January 12th, 2015, 3:42 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I still reach for owned dead tree books before the owned Kindle ones since I'm trying to clean up shelf space. When I have a choice from the library of dead tree vs Kindle, I take the Kindle. So much easier on the eyes, and lighter to hold up.

Speaking of dead tree books taking up the shelves, so many of my FOL sale and thrift store finds are getting ditilized and library is picking them up. I've got like eight grocery store paper bags worth of books ready for a charity store pick up.[/quote]
I'm the same, I keep trying to make myself read my paper books rather than Kindle ones so that I can donate the ones that weren't great to the charity shop after reading. But then I keep going to the charity shop and buying more anyway, it's a never-ending circle :(

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon January 12th, 2015, 3:57 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]I'm the same, I keep trying to make myself read my paper books rather than Kindle ones so that I can donate the ones that weren't great to the charity shop after reading. But then I keep going to the charity shop and buying more anyway, it's a never-ending circle :( [/quote]

I'm trying to stay out of them.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”