Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2014- What are you reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 6th, 2014, 10:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I have not yet got around to reading the Lady J books.

*hangs head in shame*

There's more coming, this should be fun for you.[/quote]

I read a couple of more chapters. I just love it so far and anyone who has read the Lady Julia mysteries will love the connections. I do believe that most, if not all, of the Lady Julia books are available at eLibrary.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 7th, 2014, 12:13 pm

[quote=""Susan""]I read a couple of more chapters. I just love it so far and anyone who has read the Lady Julia mysteries will love the connections. I do believe that most, if not all, of the Lady Julia books are available at eLibrary.[/quote]

Isn't it fun? I love the way the first person narrative works along with her mistaken impression about Sebastian. We don't get inside his head, but it's fun to imagine. I have seen the Lady J books in the digital catalog, it's just a matter of time and plowing through my owned pile.

Edit, got the hero's name wrong.
Last edited by Misfit on Tue October 7th, 2014, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun October 12th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I'm reading Picture Maker by Penina Keen Spinka.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 13th, 2014, 8:48 am

I've just started "Cauldstane" by Linda Gillard, set in a spooky Scottish castle.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue October 14th, 2014, 1:02 am

Finally! Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed October 15th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Returned to The Origin after a couple of ARC's and enjoying it more--but learned to skim the boring bits.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 16th, 2014, 9:06 am

I've just started "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 16th, 2014, 1:17 pm

NF: Creativity, Inc. (plus long tagline) by the founder of Pixar. And listening to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri October 17th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Finished Carol Goodman's The Sonnet Lover (pretty good) and Celeste De Blois Wild Swan. More of both of them will follow into October/November
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 17th, 2014, 7:13 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Finished Carol Goodman's The Sonnet Lover (pretty good) and Celeste De Blois Wild Swan. More of both of them will follow into October/November[/quote]

I have that one on mount tbr . I much prefer these books to her urban fantasy novels, which is all she seems to write these days. Fair enough if that's what she wants to write, but I loved Lake of Dead Languages which I| read a few months ago - hard to believe it was written by the same author.

Return to “General Discussion”