Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ludmilla's 2008 Reads

What have you read in 2008? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Ludmilla's 2008 Reads

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 10th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Oh, what the heck... I'm procrastinating.

My Ratings are on a scale of 1-10. I'll put in placeholders for November and December in separate posts.

January
1. Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley (Fiction, Epic Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
2. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl By Timonty Egan (NF, History; Rating, 9.5)
3. Tracks by Louie Erdrich (Fiction; Rating 7.0)
4. Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland (NF, History; Rating, 8.0)
5. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis (NF, History; Rating 9.0)
6. Eagle in the Snow: A Novel of General Maximus and Rome's Last Stand by Wallace Breem (Fiction, Historical; Rating, 9.0)
7. Measuring America: How the United States Was Shaped by the Greatest Land Sale in History by Andro Linklater (NF, History; Rating, 8.5)
8. The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America by Russell Shorto (NF, History; Rating, 8.5)

February
9. Nathaniel's Nutmeg, or, The true and incredible adventures of the spice trader who changed the course of history by Giles Milton (NF, History; Rating, 7.0)
10. Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick (NF, History; Rating, 9.0)
11. 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles Mann (NF, History; Rating, 9.0)
12. The Terror by Dan Simmons (Fiction, Historical Fantasy/Horror; Rating, 8.0)

March
13. Annals of the Former World by John McPhee (NF, Natural History; Rating, 8.0)
14. My Own Kind of Freedom by Steven Brust (Fan Fiction, SF/F; Rating, 7.0)
15. Asylum by Patrick McGrath (Fiction, Psychological Thriller; Rating, 8.0)
16. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (NF, Psychology; Rating, 8.0)
17. Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (Fiction; Rating, 7.0)
18. The Five Sisters by Marget Mahy (Fiction, Children’s; Rating, 8.0)
19. Imperium by Robert Harris (Fiction, Historical, Roman Republic; Rating, 7.0)
20. The Haunting by Margaret Mahy (Fiction, Juvenile; Rating, 8.0)

April
21. The Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia (Fiction, Urban Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
22. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2007, Richard Preston-Editor (NF, Science & Nature Anthology; Rating, 7.0)
23. StrengthsFinder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup's Now, Discover Your Strengths by Tom Rath (NF, Professional Development; Rating 7.0)
24. Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 6.5)
25. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (Fiction; Rating 7.5)
26. Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade (NF, Science, Prehistoric Peoples; Rating, 8.5)
27. Suite Francaise, Irene Nemirovsky (Fiction, WWII; Rating, 9.0)
28. Daughters of the North by Sarah Hall (Fiction, Feminist Dystopia; Rating, 6.0)

May
29. Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford (NF, Biography; Rating, 8.5)
30. Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham, et al (NF, Professional Development; Rating, 6.0)
31. American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin (NF, Biography; Rating, 7.0)
32. The Curse of the Raven Mocker by Marly Youmans (Fiction, YA Fantasy; Rating, 7.5)
33. The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (Fiction, Alternate History; Rating, 5.0)
34. The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart (Fiction, Romantic Suspense; Rating 8.0)
35. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (Fiction, Historical Mystery; Rating, 8.0)
36. The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (Fiction; Rating, 7.0)
37. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Fiction, Urban Fantasy; Rating 8.0)

June
38. The Shape-Changer's Wife by Sharon Shinn (Fiction, Romantic/Fairy Tale-esque Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
39. The Underground City by H.L. (Doc) Humes (Fiction, WII; Rating, 8.0)
40. The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard (NF, History/Travel & Exploration; Rating, 8.0)
41. Stasiland by Anna Funder (NF, History-Communist East Germany; Rating, 8.0)
42. The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman (NF, History-WWI; Rating, 8.5)
43. Travels with Herodotus by Ryszard Kapuscinski (NF, History/Travelogue; Rating, 8.0)
44. The Shadow of the Sun by Ryszard Kapuscinski (NF, History/Travelogue, Post-Colonial Africa; Rating 7.5)

July
45. Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 6.0)
46. Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 5.0)
47. Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky (Fiction; Rating, 8.0)
48. The Giver by Lois Lowry (Fiction, YA/Dystopia; Rating, 8.0)
49. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (Fiction, Juvenile, Historical; Rating, 7.0)
50. I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (Fiction, YA, Psychological Thriller; Rating, 8.5)
51. Roman Wall by Bryher (Fiction, Historical; Rating, 6.5)
52. Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock (Fiction, Mythic Fantasy; Rating 9.0)
53. Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant (Fiction, YA Epic Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
54. The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark (Fiction, Historical; Rating, 5.0)

August
55. Black Ships by Jo Graham (Fiction, Historical Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
56. Shadow the Silk Road by Colin Thubron (NF, Travelogue; Rating, 8.0)
57. Melusine by Sarah Monette (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 9.0)
58. The Virtu by Sarah Monette (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 8.0)
59. The Mirador by Sarah Monette (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
60. A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear (Fiction, Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
61. Landsman by Peter Charles Melman (Fiction, Historical-American Civil War; Rating, 5.0)
62. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (Fiction, Historical; Rating, 9.5)

September
63. The March by EL Doctorow (Fiction, Historical; Rating, 7.0)
64. Simon the Coldheart: A Tale of Chivalry and Adventure by Georgette Heyer (Fiction, Historical Romance; Rating, 6.0)
65. A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay (Fiction, Historical Fantasy; Rating, 7.5)
66. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque (Fiction, WWI; Rating, 9.0)
67. The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West (Fiction, WWI-England; Rating, 8.0)
68. A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage (NF, Cultural/Beverage History; Rating, 7.0)
69. Boone: A Biography by Robert Morgan (NF, Biography; Rating, 8.0)
70. Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara (Fiction, Historical-American Civil War; Rating, 8.0)

October
71. The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara (Fiction, Historical-American Civil War; Rating, 8.0)
72. 1812: The War That Forged a Nation by Walter Borneman (NF, US History; Rating, 6.5)
73. 1776 by David McCullough (NF, US History; Rating, 8.0)
74. Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (Fiction; Rating, 9.0)
75. Orlando by Virginia Woolf (Fiction; Rating, 8.0)
76. The Bone Key by Sarah Monette (Fiction, Short Story Collection/Horror; Rating, 8.0)
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon December 1st, 2008, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

November Reads

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 10th, 2008, 8:56 pm

November
77. The Hollowing by Robert Holdstock (Fiction, Mythic Fantasy; Rating, 7.0)
78. Hercules, My Shipmate by Robert Graves (Fiction, Historical Fantasy-Ancient Greece; Rating, 9.0)
79. I, Claudius by Robert Graves (Fiction, Historical-Roman Empire; Rating, 8.5)
80. Claudius the God by Robert Graves (Fiction, Historical-Roman Empire; Rating, 8.5)
81. The Rag and Bone Shop by Robert Cormier (Fiction, YA, Psychological Thriller; Rating, 7.0)
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon December 1st, 2008, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

December Reads

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 10th, 2008, 8:57 pm

December
82. Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar (Fiction, Historical-Roman Empire; Rating, 8.5)
83. Flora's Dare by Ysabeau Wilce (Flora Segunda series, #2) (Fiction, YA Fantasy; Rating, 9.0)
84. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Fiction, Children's, Victorian England; Rating, 7.0)
85. The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery (Fiction, Romance, 1920s Ontario, Canada; Rating,9.0)
86. Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (Fiction, Historical, GLBT, 1880s-1890s England; Rating, 7.5)
87. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (Fiction, 1920s Italian Holiday; Rating, 7.5)
88. The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlof (Fiction, Children's Fantasy, Sweden; Rating 8.0)
89. The Borrowers by Mary Norton (Fiction, Children's Fantasy, late 19th/early 20th century England; Rating 9.0)
90. The Borrowers Afield by Mary Norton (Fiction, Children's Fantasy, late 19th/early 20th century England; Rating 9.0)
91. The Borrowers Afloat by Mary Norton (Fiction, Children's Fantasy, late 19th/early 20th century England; Rating 9.0)
92. The Borrowers Aloft by Mary Norton (Fiction, Children's Fantasy, late 19th/early 20th century England; Rating 9.0)
93. Bedknob and Broomstick by Mary Norton (Fiction, Children's Fantasy; Rating 9.0)
94. The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope (Fiction, YA Historical Fantasy, American Revolution; Rating, 7.0)
95. The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope (Fiction, YA Historical Fantasy, Tudor England, Tam Lin retelling; Rating, 7.5)
96. Spindle's End by Robin McKinley (Fiction, Fantasy, Retold Fairy Tale-Sleeping Beauty; Rating, 8.0)
97. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (Fiction, Children's/YA; Rating, 8.0)

Mainly some re-reads, some comfort reading, and some children's literature to soothe my holiday brain!
Last edited by Ludmilla on Thu January 1st, 2009, 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Final Update

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon November 10th, 2008, 9:12 pm

What an interesting and eclectic collection, Ludmilla :)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon November 10th, 2008, 11:11 pm

That one on Nathaniel's Nutmeg sounds interesting, and I've had several of the ones written by David McCullough languishing on my bookshelves -- alas, I am not nearly as strong on American history as I would like to be.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 11th, 2008, 1:05 am

I read the Shaara trilogy on the Civil War last year. They are quite enlightening, but not books I'm likely to read again. I had no idea how horrific that war was, nor the conditions of the soldiers, or the incompetency of some of the generals.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 1st, 2008, 2:15 pm

I realized after I posted that I left one book out of June, so I've updated the original as well as November/December posts. I don't get a lot of reading done in Nov/Dec due to the holidays and a lot of family and work demands. We'll see how this month goes. Might have to look for something light and escapist after I finish my current book. Perhaps some of my Children's and YA books in the TBR. I never know where my moods will take me. :eek:

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2008”