Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Summer Queen

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun August 24th, 2014, 5:31 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Yes, it's available in paperback and e-format. :) I've just this morning posts a bit about writing it onto the History Girls blog. http://the-history-girls.blogspot.co.uk ... ar-by.html[/quote]

Read your post on the blog earlier today and enjoyed it. :) How long do I have to wait for The Autumn Queen to be published in the US?
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 25th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Hey guys, got a question for you. I received a comment on my review of The Summer Queen. He/she is wondering if it would be appropriate for an advanced ten year old reader. I'm not around ten year olds that much, especially today's ten year olds, so I'm a bit stumped. Thoughts?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon August 25th, 2014, 3:00 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Hey guys, got a question for you. I received a comment on my review of The Summer Queen. He/she is wondering if it would be appropriate for an advanced ten year old reader. I'm not around ten year olds that much, especially today's ten year olds, so I'm a bit stumped. Thoughts?[/quote]

There are some bedroom scenes, so I'd say not really. (I am around 12-13 year old ten months each year!) You could suggest to the parent that he/she read the book and decide.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 25th, 2014, 9:00 pm

[quote=""Susan""]There are some bedroom scenes, so I'd say not really. (I am around 12-13 year old ten months each year!) You could suggest to the parent that he/she read the book and decide.[/quote]

Thank you, that's very helpful, especially since the book is fresher in your mind.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue August 26th, 2014, 12:47 am

I came across a YA novel about Eleanor on her Wikipedia page that sounds interesting called A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E. L. Konigsburg whose most notable work is probably From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler about two kids running away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. The description caught my fancy and my library owns it, so next time I get over to the library, I may get it. Has anyone read it? Here's the description of the novel from Eleanor's Wikipedia page:

"A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver takes place in Heaven of the late 20th century, where Eleanor of Aquitaine, Empress Matilda, and William the Marshall are waiting for King Henry II to be admitted to eternity at last. The Abbot Suger stops to chat with Eleanor and stays to wait, too. To pass the time, the four recall Eleanor's time on Earth. The flashbacks on earth are set during the Middle Ages in France and England, with a brief trip to the Holy Land. The flashbacks trace the highlights of Eleanor's life from 1137 (when she is 15 years old and about to wed Louis Capet, soon to be King Louis VII of France) to her death in 1204. Her life encompasses the rule of England by her husband Henry II and by her sons Richard and John. Originally published in 1973, the novel was put back in print by Atheneum in 2001."
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed August 27th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I've yet to read 'A Proud Taste' but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it is for the older child YA market. I'd say The Summer Queen is okay for today's mid and older teens but not those leaving childhood to enter teenhood.
I'll ask my US editor about when The Winter Crown is heading Stateside, but she's on maternity leave at the moment. Back in a few weeks as far as I know.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 24th, 2015, 3:20 am

I'll be getting this book from the library next week. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

lauradupre
Scribbler
Currently reading: Tudor Bride
Interest in HF: Historical fiction was my guilty pleasure when I was in grad school, getting my Master's in History. Back then, I read everything I could about the American Revolution and early republic. Now, as I'm researching my ancestors, I'm obsessed with French history. I've stuck in the Renaissance era.
Favourite HF book: Minette by Melanie Clegg
Preferred HF: How many can I have? WWI, American Revolution, Renaissance, 18th Century,

Re: The Summer Queen

Post by lauradupre » Tue April 18th, 2017, 5:23 am

The Summer Queen trilogy was my introduction to Chadwick. I read the second of the books, because I picked it up used at Goodwill. I'm quite talented when it comes to picking up the middle book only when it comes to used bookstores. I really loved it, and when I winnow down my TBR stack I'll try to either get them on e-book or used in paperback.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 19th, 2017, 1:50 am

lauradupre wrote:The Summer Queen trilogy was my introduction to Chadwick. I read the second of the books, because I picked it up used at Goodwill. I'm quite talented when it comes to picking up the middle book only when it comes to used bookstores. I really loved it, and when I winnow down my TBR stack I'll try to either get them on e-book or used in paperback.
You actually found a Chadwick at Goodwill? A very rare occasion!

lauradupre
Scribbler
Currently reading: Tudor Bride
Interest in HF: Historical fiction was my guilty pleasure when I was in grad school, getting my Master's in History. Back then, I read everything I could about the American Revolution and early republic. Now, as I'm researching my ancestors, I'm obsessed with French history. I've stuck in the Renaissance era.
Favourite HF book: Minette by Melanie Clegg
Preferred HF: How many can I have? WWI, American Revolution, Renaissance, 18th Century,

Post by lauradupre » Wed April 19th, 2017, 4:16 pm

I know- can you believe the luck? I've been going back, hoping to find the other two. I found all 3 books in Sandra Gulland's Josephine trilogy, so there's always hope.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”