Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue February 4th, 2014, 1:12 am

MLE, yaaaayyyy! So very happy for you.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon April 14th, 2014, 11:10 pm

A certain agent I am very excited about has asked for revisions. So encouraging!!!!

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue April 15th, 2014, 8:28 pm

That sounds positive Diane :)

I'm over the moon tonight because I just discovered Open Library and actually managed to download a book onto my Kindle Fire! This is so exciting, it has a way better selection than my library's Overdrive catalogue! And loads of old school OOP books too.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri April 18th, 2014, 9:50 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]That sounds positive Diane :)

I'm over the moon tonight because I just discovered Open Library and actually managed to download a book onto my Kindle Fire! This is so exciting, it has a way better selection than my library's Overdrive catalogue! And loads of old school OOP books too.[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning that. I haven't had much luck finding ebooks I want to read at my local library, but Open Library actually does have older books I've been wanting to read. I just tried downloading one, and it worked on my iPad mini. Yay!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu May 15th, 2014, 4:07 pm

A full year after graduating with an English Major, my daughter has a job in her field with a small publishing company! Granted it's part time, and for the summer only, but it's a foot in the door. We were encouraging her to work anywhere part time and focus on her writing, so very happy she is working in something related to her degree. On top of that she won an essay contest and will be getting a cash award, plus published. Proud Mama here! :D

In my own life, I'm taking a few days for a personal writer's retreat. I have a new project in mind and need to kick start the process--I spent the winter doing everything but writing. So...no TV, no internet, minimal email...lots of peace, walks, and writing!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 15th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Great news for your daughter, and the retreat sounds lovely - enjoy it!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat May 17th, 2014, 3:33 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Great news for your daughter, and the retreat sounds lovely - enjoy it![/quote]

Thanks, Madeleine!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue May 20th, 2014, 2:18 am

This weekend... I got to go out of town twice! (Even got some new teas as well.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed May 21st, 2014, 10:45 pm

The greatest fear and stressor of the past two years of my life is OVER. Best news I ever heard (not involving the birth of a niece ...). :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri May 23rd, 2014, 3:51 pm

Somewhere between 'best' and 'most amusing', but hey, it's giving me quite a high.
I buy up used kindles when they are cheap on Craigslist to pass my WIP around amongst my beta readers. So I had an exchange with a lady who had one, and since it would be inconvenient to meet for the exchange, I asked if I could send her prepaid postage and she could drop it in the mail. This involved exchanging addresses, which many are reluctant to do.

So just to let her know I was harmless, I told her why I wanted so many kindles and linked to my blog.

Now for the fun part: she responded with her address, and a compliment on the latest post ("Brilliant!") and asked what else I write. She had, she said, 'some interest in the publishing industry'.

I explained my view on the changing field of publishing, tossed in some standard 'advice for wannabe writers' and just for the heck of it, asked her if she would like to be added to my list of beta-readers--attaching a chapter to she could self-screen. (I hate wasting somebody's time if my stuff isn't their cup of tea.)

She said she would check it out. And then I noticed activity on my very somnolent blog--one visitor had read every single post. (There aren't many.) Which made me curious enough to google the name/address she gave me, only to discover that the kindle-seller is a MAJOR agent!

I'm not in the market for an agent or a publisher, but still, it's a charge to know that one's work has amused. :D

Return to “Chat”