Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Site keeps logging me out

Technical questions/problems? Ask the admins here.
Helen_Davis

Site keeps logging me out

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu December 26th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Hey the site keeps logging me out without me clicking the Log Out button for some reason. Is my account restricted or is this just a glitch?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri December 27th, 2013, 5:26 pm

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]Hey the site keeps logging me out without me clicking the Log Out button for some reason. Is my account restricted or is this just a glitch?[/quote]

Your account hasn't been changed, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri December 27th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Could your browser be set to clear cookies, or something like that?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri December 27th, 2013, 6:15 pm

If you don't click the "keep me signed in" box, the session times out. Happens to me all the time.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 27th, 2013, 7:10 pm

I haven't had problems, except when the computer does a Windows update it will sometimes bump me out.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sat January 4th, 2014, 5:45 pm

It happens to me all the time. I've more or less learned now to type posts in Word and then paste them in, rather than typing directly on the site (though sometimes I forget and get a painful reminder!).
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Lisa
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Sat January 4th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Browser issue? I've never had any problems with Firefox on Windows (whatever latest version is), Safari on my iPhone, and Silk on my Kindle Fire HD. I always have the"keep me logged in" option turned on, and I've never tried it with IE or Chrome.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 8th, 2014, 3:17 am

Posted by Carla
It happens to me all the time. I've more or less learned now to type posts in Word and then paste them in, rather than typing directly on the site (though sometimes I forget and get a painful reminder!).
Ditto - drives me spare sometimes, especially if I've written a reasonably long post :) Makes no odds which browser I use, and I've not come across a "keep me logged in" option.
Last edited by annis on Wed January 8th, 2014, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa
Bibliophile

Post by Lisa » Wed January 8th, 2014, 9:22 am

[quote=""annis""]
Ditto - drives me spare sometimes, especially if I've written a reasonably long post :) Makes no odds which browser I use, and I've not come across a "keep me logged in" option.[/quote]

Actually good point, I went back to check, and I think it's just the "Remember Me" option I'm thinking of. But my browser is set not to delete cookies, so that must be what's keeping me logged in, as opposed to "Remember Me".

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm

I'm not very technologically inclined, but I have a feeling the time you can stay logged in is set from the forum admin side. I post on other sites which tell you how much time you are allowed before you get the boot. Generally it's about 15-30 minutes, though with some sites you can stay logged in forever if you wish!

Return to “Site Help”