Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Romance Recommendations

Trying to remember a title or an author? Want to know who or what a particular novel is about? Want a recommendation for books about a particular person or period? Post here!
LCW
Compulsive Reader

Historical Romance Recommendations

Post by LCW » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 6:51 pm

I'm in the mood for a good HR. Does anyone have any recommendations on good ones they've read lately?

My favorite hands down is Silken Threads which I read years ago on the advice of EC. It's still the best I've read. I also love her earlier more romantic work. I've also liked everything by Lisa Kleypas but haven't liked anything I've tried from Julie Garwood. Those are two off hand I can come up with.

Despite attempting quite a few this past year I haven't gotten 1/3 of the way through any of them so any ideas would be appreciated. :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 7:16 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I'm in the mood for a good HR. Does anyone have any recommendations on good ones they've read lately?

My favorite hands down is Silken Threads which I read years ago on the advice of EC. It's still the best I've read. I also love her earlier more romantic work. I've also liked everything by Lisa Kleypas but haven't liked anything I've tried from Julie Garwood. Those are two off hand I can come up with.

Despite attempting quite a few this past year I haven't gotten 1/3 of the way through any of them so any ideas would be appreciated. :) [/quote]

I recently read White Lion's Lady by Tina St. John, medieval but a bit of a step up from the Garwood-ish romances. Currently free on Kindle, but not sure how much longer it will last.

There's also Midnight Marriage by Lucinda Brant and also free. Georgian, and the author was inspired to write this arranged marriage story based on a real-life pair that were married as children, husband went on the grand tour, came home and unknowingly fell in love with his wife. It's the second in a trilogy, but can stand alone on its own.

If you can get a copy (ask about ILL, used copies are ruinously expensive), try Bride of the MacHugh by Jan Cox Speas.

Oh, and speaking of Scotland (IIRC you like Scottish romances), try Without Honor and/or Heartstorm by Elizabeth Stuart. Really good fun.

If you like southern romances, Jennifer Blake is always a good safe bet, and the kindle prices are fairly reasonable - plus she puts them up free quite a bit. Just be wary that she wrote most of them in the old skool days, and some scenarios might not suit a PC minded reader.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 7:28 pm

Here's a link to Amazon's top selling free historical romances. It changes constantly and freebies come and go, but as I'm seeing it now there's several titles that were first traditionally published.

Shades of Honor, Pirate Hunter's Mistress (stupid new name), Caprice, Secret of Mirror House (a Jennifer Blake), Amethyst, Tennessee Waltz, Cynthia Wright and Danelle Harmon books, No Place for a Lady by Jade Lee for starters.

Sorry for no links, lunch break is almost over and I have to work at work today. If you're on Goodreads, there's a romance group that is devoted to hunting down these older titles, especially when they're free. I'll note the link to the group if you're interested.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

Thanks so much. This is perfect!! I will look into all of the above! And I do like Scottish Romances, Scottish anything really. Amazing memory you have there! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 7:43 pm

Glad to help.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 7:48 pm

Of that top 100 list I have two on my Kindle already. Across A Moonlit Sea and Far Horizons. About a month ago I started reading the first and it was just OK about 1/4 of the way through. Then vacation and the holidays happened and I haven't gotten back to it. I just received a hard copy of The Shoemaker's Wife and am really wanting to start on it rather than pick back up with the HR.

I downloaded two new ones from that list, White Lion's Lady and Vows of Revenge, so far. Thanks again!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue December 3rd, 2013, 9:32 pm

[quote=""LCW""]Of that top 100 list I have two on my Kindle already. Across A Moonlit Sea and Far Horizons. About a month ago I started reading the first and it was just OK about 1/4 of the way through. Then vacation and the holidays happened and I haven't gotten back to it. I just received a hard copy of The Shoemaker's Wife and am really wanting to start on it rather than pick back up with the HR.

I downloaded two new ones from that list, White Lion's Lady and Vows of Revenge, so far. Thanks again!![/quote]

Happy reading ;)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 4th, 2013, 3:45 am

I enjoyed Tina St John's HF - I still have them around as keepers somewhere on my shelves. I think she wrote 4 straight HR novels altogether -Lord of Vengeance (a standalone) and the Warrior trilogy (White Lion's Lady, Black Lion's Bride and Lady of Valor). I used to enjoy Hannah Howell's Scottish romances, but she has now gone to the dark side and writes paranormals. Kinley MacGregor (another who's gone dark side as Sherilyn Kenyon) wrote a fun series of Highland romances - The Brotherhood/MacAllisters.
Last edited by annis on Wed December 4th, 2013, 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 4th, 2013, 12:56 pm

[quote=""annis""]I enjoyed Tina St John's HF - I still have them around as keepers somewhere on my shelves. I think she wrote 4 straight HR novels altogether -Lord of Vengeance (a standalone) and the Warrior trilogy (White Lion's Lady, Black Lion's Bride and Lady of Valor). I used to enjoy Hannah Howell's Scottish romances, but she has now gone to the dark side and writes paranormals. Kinley MacGregor (another who's gone dark side as Sherilyn Kenyon) wrote a fun series of Highland romances - The Brotherhood/MacAllisters.[/quote]

I haven't read KM yet, thanks for the mention. I did get St John's Black Lion's Bride out from the library.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 4th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Freebie alert on a 1995 medieval. Originally published at Leopard's Lady, now The Leopard.

No guarantees if it's any good or not :p

Return to “Ask Your Fellow Readers”