Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suggestions please

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Suggestions please

Post by Divia » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:06 am

For the past 5 years I have wanted to get a tattoo. I originally wanted to get a celtic moon. But everyone said that was dumb since i'm Italian, and the designs I saw all sucked.

Well, I thought about it and I'm a huge victorian freak (gee..dif you know that? :p ) Anyway, I have no idea what to get. Suggestions? Id ont want it huge. But if anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear em. Pics would be great too!

Grazie
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:50 am

Divia, if it isn't too personal :rolleyes: , where do you want it? I've seen some great tiny tattoos on toes before, and my friend has an amazing one on the inside of her wrist.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:55 am

I don't want it huge.
If it's small, you will probably have to go with something smaller in scope, like a flower, or a broach, or a cameo. Or you could just buy a Victorian necklace and wear it all the time - it won't get wrinkly with age! ;)
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri November 7th, 2008, 12:11 pm

I was thinking on my back, lower part. Ya know, tramp stamp. But for the life of me I cant think of what. :cool:

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:41 pm

What about Jaimy Fraser's "Running Stags" in the Outlander novel...I always thought that would be cool!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri November 7th, 2008, 6:06 pm

There's a Sherlock Holmes story that involves the great detective deducing that a man spent some time in China because of the specific coloration in a tattoo of a fish that he had. I've seen some really beautiful Chinese designs of leaping fish.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri November 7th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Ya know, tramp stamp.
HA! In that case, it can be slightly bigger! Are you looking for something simple like flowers (which the Victorians loved, and you could even have a small cameo in the middle!), or something more complex?
Visit MichelleMoran.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 7th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Posted by Margaret
There's a Sherlock Holmes story that involves the great detective deducing that a man spent some time in China because of the specific coloration in a tattoo of a fish that he had. I've seen some really beautiful Chinese designs of leaping fish.
A passion for Oriental patterns was a significant part of the Victorian design inspiration, like this gorgeous plate by William de Morgan
http://www.victorianweb.org/art/design/demorgan/7.html

The medieval influence was very strong as well.

I have a dragon tattoooed on my upper arm. (I've got a thing about dragons :) ) He was designed by my oldest son who is a graphic artist, and i had it done as a 50th birthday present to myself. He's also an inspiration to keep myself in shape as he shows to best advantage on a well toned arm!

I'd say, go for it, if you want a tat. I've had a lot of fun out of mine and it's a great conversation starter, though it's always a good idea to have it some place that can be covered up if you're in a situation where it's not appropriate to show it.
Last edited by annis on Fri November 7th, 2008, 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri November 7th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Oh, I LOVE that photo Annis. How awesome would that be?!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 8th, 2008, 1:25 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]HA! In that case, it can be slightly bigger! Are you looking for something simple like flowers (which the Victorians loved, and you could even have a small cameo in the middle!), or something more complex?[/quote]

I cant have something really small because overtime it just looks bad cause your skin streches n stuff. I learned that on LA ink. I thought about a flower..or maybe some tile design...oh I just dont know. Thats the trouble!

Return to “Chat”