Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Historical" Movies

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:12 am

[quote=""Rowan""]

I got Mrs Brown from NetFlix today via a friend. Has anyone seen this? Opinions?

I like Dame Judi Dench as an actress so I will probably watch it irrespective of the historical accuracy of the film. Still, I'd like to know whether it is or isn't accurate.
[/quote]

I love Mrs Brown! From what I know it is as accurate as films get, they call it artistic liscense! Billy Connoly and Dame Judy are fantastic together.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:44 am

I've seen Mrs. Brown and enjoyed it very much. According to my Scottish partner, who knows a lot about history, it is accurate.

Braveheart on the contrary was not historically accurate ! Although I still enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Rob Roy.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 19th, 2008, 9:28 pm

mu husband loves Braveheart, every couple of months we watch it so he can get his fix

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu November 6th, 2008, 11:33 pm

"Mrs Brown" is lovely, isn't it? The beautiful settings of Osborne House, where is was filmed, and the brilliant portrayal by Judy Dench, with nothing more than a flicker of her lips, or a blink, is wonderful. The only film which comes even closer to portaying the real Queen Victoria, in my opinion, is the wonderful old black and white, "The Mudlark". The actress, whose name temporarily escapes me, who portrayed Queen Victoria in that, even got the slight German accents, rolling the 'r' and captured her whole character in so many brilliant ways. The same film featured Alec Guinness as Disraeli....and he had him down to perfection! What joy!!! :-)

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri November 7th, 2008, 1:15 am

Dame Judy Dench plays Queen Victoria. I too loved Mrs. Brown!

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri November 7th, 2008, 3:49 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]You know, after looking at some information regarding the movies, I think it actually was the Mary, Queen of Scots movie that I saw. I know it wasn't 6 hours long (which would be the Elizabeth series with Glenda Jackson). But since she is also in the MQoS movie, that could be why I was confused. :confused: :o [/quote]

Glenda Jackson played Elizabeth in the Mary Queen of Scots movie they made in the seventies, as well as the 6 hour series.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Fri November 7th, 2008, 3:48 pm

[quote=""Catherine Delors""]Dame Judy Dench plays Queen Victoria. I too loved Mrs. Brown![/quote]

Hello, Catherine...Do you remember the name of the actress who played Queen Victoria in 'The Mudlark'...she is the one whose name I was trying to recall. It's such a lovely old film and her portrayal of Queen Victoria was absolutely spot-on to me :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Christina....the 1950 film "The Mudlark" Queen Victoria was portrayed by the the American actress Irene Dunne....Excellent classic film

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Jane Austen's Emma - Gwynneth Paltrow's version or BBC's doesn't matter, they both are hillarious!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Fri November 7th, 2008, 4:59 pm

I recently bought The Lion in Winter, after have read Devil´s Brood, as well as To Kill a King and Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”