Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? October 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue October 8th, 2013, 4:12 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I have this on my Kindle and almost started reading it last night. But I decided it was a little too long for the window I have (I have one day and a 5-hour flight before I get back home to a huge pile of library borrowings).

So, instead, I started Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I've never read before.[/quote]

It is a great read-flows like a novel but sticks to facts which is what you would expect of a NF. You likely wouldn't finish it on a 5 hour flight but I'm already half way through after just starting it Sunday so...
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue October 8th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Special birthday reading... Shield of Pride by Elizabeth Chadwick.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 9th, 2013, 10:19 am

I've heard very mixed reviews on The Plantagenets. I was going to buy it but decided it wouldn't be in depth enough for what I needed. If I see it in the library I'll give it a go.
I'm still not reading historical. Currently on a spiritual book The Sculptor in the Sky by Teal Scott.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Wed October 9th, 2013, 5:27 pm

I've been veering away from hf lately. Reread all of Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer novels and am now finishing up a Harry Bosch novel. I have a SKP novel that I want to pick up again at some time.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu October 10th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm reading Jennifer Chiaverini's The Spymistress, about the Union spy Elizabeth van Lew.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu October 10th, 2013, 2:37 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I've heard very mixed reviews on The Plantagenets. I was going to buy it but decided it wouldn't be in depth enough for what I needed. If I see it in the library I'll give it a go.
I'm still not reading historical. Currently on a spiritual book The Sculptor in the Sky by Teal Scott.[/quote]

There are quite a few things in there that were "new" to me and kept it interesting but not quite an in depth look as one would expect.
Brenna

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri October 11th, 2013, 12:50 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]The final installment in Juliet Grey's Marie Antoinette trilogy. Enjoying it.[/quote]

I read this a few months ago and loved it. I had no idea it was the last of a trilogy. As a stand alone novel it did just fine.

Right now I'm reading Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham. It was free on Kindle and it's been too long since I've read a good HR. I'm only about 50 pages in so it's too soon to tell if I like it yet.
Last edited by LCW on Fri October 11th, 2013, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I read this a few months ago and loved it. I had no idea it was the last of a trilogy. As a stand alone novel it did just fine.

Right now I'm reading Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham. It was free on Kindle and it's been too long since I've read a good HR. I'm only about 50 pages in so it's too soon to tell if I like it yet.[/quote]

It just came out, so perhaps you read one of the earlier volumes if you read it a few months ago.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 11th, 2013, 1:52 pm

I'm reading Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford, a story set in 1934 and 1921. I'm enjoying it very much so far.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat October 12th, 2013, 2:14 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]It just came out, so perhaps you read one of the earlier volumes if you read it a few months ago.[/quote]

I got it from the Vine Newsletter in June or July. I can't remember exactly but I reviewed it in July. It was definitely the last book in the series.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “General Discussion”