Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 12th, 2013, 12:50 am

[quote=""MLE""]Went in for tests because of persistent abdominal pain. I appear to have a 6.6 cm mass where my right ovary ought to be.

This could be very inconvenient.

I really ought to finish that dratted prequel and launch the five novels I've spent a decade re-writing.[/quote]

Wishing you the best MLE. I had an ovarian cyst over twice the size of yours removed via keyhole surgery last year - recovery time was about 2/3 weeks. Unfortunately I'm prone to them as I have polycystic ovaries. Ovarian cysts are most usually benign but they can be very painful although strangely enough I only had twinges of pain with that very large one - it was discovered through a routine ultrasound. Some previous cysts had disappeared by themselves but this one didn't look like it was going anywhere so my gynaecologist decided on surgery.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu September 12th, 2013, 6:26 am

I wish you all the best best MLE !

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 12th, 2013, 8:21 am

Fingers crossed for you MLE.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu September 12th, 2013, 8:35 am

Sending lots of positive energy your way, MLE.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 12th, 2013, 11:18 am

Hope you get everything sorted, MLE, and that it's not serious.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 12th, 2013, 1:57 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Wishing you the best MLE. I had an ovarian cyst over twice the size of yours removed via keyhole surgery last year - recovery time was about 2/3 weeks. Unfortunately I'm prone to them as I have polycystic ovaries. Ovarian cysts are most usually benign but they can be very painful although strangely enough I only had twinges of pain with that very large one - it was discovered through a routine ultrasound. Some previous cysts had disappeared by themselves but this one didn't look like it was going anywhere so my gynaecologist decided on surgery.[/quote]
Thanks for the info, Moppet. I have spent a couple of hours researching ovarian cysts, and I had no idea that there were so many kinds! At the moment I'm still waiting for my doctor to call me and tell me what the plan is. The ultrasound tech just mumbled something about not being qualified to discuss it, that my primary care physician would be contacting me shortly.

And thanks all for the warm wishes.
At least now I know what's been bothering me, and whether it's just a nuisance cyst or something worse, there are lots of things to be done.

This is one of those times when I am intensely grateful that I don't live in the 16th century. Or today's Afghanistan or Rwanda.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu September 12th, 2013, 8:52 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Wishing you the best MLE. I had an ovarian cyst over twice the size of yours removed via keyhole surgery last year - recovery time was about 2/3 weeks. Unfortunately I'm prone to them as I have polycystic ovaries. Ovarian cysts are most usually benign but they can be very painful although strangely enough I only had twinges of pain with that very large one - it was discovered through a routine ultrasound. Some previous cysts had disappeared by themselves but this one didn't look like it was going anywhere so my gynaecologist decided on surgery.[/quote]

[quote=""MLE""]Thanks for the info, Moppet. I have spent a couple of hours researching ovarian cysts, and I had no idea that there were so many kinds! At the moment I'm still waiting for my doctor to call me and tell me what the plan is. The ultrasound tech just mumbled something about not being qualified to discuss it, that my primary care physician would be contacting me shortly.

And thanks all for the warm wishes.
At least now I know what's been bothering me, and whether it's just a nuisance cyst or something worse, there are lots of things to be done.

This is one of those times when I am intensely grateful that I don't live in the 16th century. Or today's Afghanistan or Rwanda.[/quote]

MLE hope you are better. I've had ovarian cysts for way more than half of my life-painful but like Moppet said, ironic that only twinges pain come with the real big ones! There are A LOT of options and always feel free to seek a second opinion!! Good luck.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri September 13th, 2013, 7:30 pm

So sorry to hear that, MLE. Sending healing thoughts your way.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat September 14th, 2013, 9:30 pm

More healing thoughts and prayers to go with all the others', MLE. It's true cysts can be benign, but it's also true they are painful as hell. Here's hoping pain is all they will need to treat for you. Be well, and keep us posted please?
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 20th, 2013, 5:20 pm

So here's the update: the CA125 blood test came out negative. That's good, but they warn me it's not a very accurate test.
On the down side, the mass appears to have a blood supply. That's not so good, means it's growing, although it is still more likely benign than not.
I'm scheduled for surgery October 15th -- so long as I don't get a cold. They won't operate if you're sick.
Thanks everyone for the good wishes and prayers. I'll take all the positive energy I can get.

On the plus side, I've been writing up a storm, and the family is suddenly SOOO considerate, even my difficult child. There's no cloud without a silver lining! ;)
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri September 20th, 2013, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”