Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:56 am

I just started The Norman Pretender by Valerie Anand.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu November 6th, 2008, 3:12 am

In the middle of Arianna Franklin's very interesting Medieval mystery "The Mistress of the Art of Death"....Adelia, and a interesting cast of characters are leading me through a maze of intrigue and prejudice......
Last edited by chuck on Thu November 6th, 2008, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu November 6th, 2008, 4:35 am

I've finished "To Marry An English Lord Or, How Anglomania Really Got Started" by Gail MacColl & Carol McD. Wallace. An interesting look out how many wealthy American heiresses married British aristocracy in the late 1800s and early 1900s, who for, for the most part, weren't that wealthy and needed the money the wealthy wives brought them. I was given this book back in 1989 and read it then so this is a reread after 19 years.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu November 6th, 2008, 8:22 am

I'm just about to start The Man of Property by John Galsworthy, the first book in the Forsyte Saga.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

lama
Scribbler

Post by lama » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:00 pm

I'm re-reading Affinity by Sarah Waters. I see something new in it every time!
http://www.lebutler.net

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:23 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I just started The Norman Pretender by Valerie Anand.[/quote]

I really enjoyed that series Misfit.

Chuck, I see you're reading Mistress of the Art of Death. I've just finished it.

Just starting non historical for Amazon Vine review. The Killing Circle by Andrew Pyper. This will be followed by HNS review title A Good War by Patrick Bishop.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu November 6th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Lama, I love Sarah Waters' books, and Affinity is my favorite. I saw an announcement that she'll have a new one out in the spring of 2009. Can't wait.

I just dug out my old, dusty copy of Robert Graves' Hercules, My Shipmate. I don't know why I haven't read this before. I love these mythic journeys.

Hoopking
Scribbler

Post by Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Well my daughter, 15 yrs old, wanted me to read the Twilight series, by Stephanie Meyer. It is a teen series so it has been a very slow process, but I am finally up to the third book. Not much HF in it but I guess there is a little, considering the characters are older than they look (don't want to spoil it for anyone thinking of reading it). Now she wants to see the movie so guess where I will be in a couple of weeks.

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Thu November 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm

[quote=""Hoopking""]Well my daughter, 15 yrs old, wanted me to read the Twilight series, by Stephanie Meyer. It is a teen series so it has been a very slow process, but I am finally up to the third book. Not much HF in it but I guess there is a little, considering the characters are older than they look (don't want to spoil it for anyone thinking of reading it). Now she wants to see the movie so guess where I will be in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

There is a thread about the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers. It is a pretty hot series with the YA's right now. You will have to post your opinions in that thread when you finish.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Hoopking
Scribbler

Post by Hoopking » Thu November 6th, 2008, 6:18 pm

It is a pretty hot series with the YA's right now.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Return to “Archives”