Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? August 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri August 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

A Thing Done by Tinney Heath. 13th century Florence setting, and I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri August 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

Our Susan Higginbotham's The Traitor's Wife. Should have read it before Hugh and Bess. This is a new time period for me in HF and enjoying it. I might have to break out my ancient Thomas Costain's The Three Edwards and catch up.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri August 23rd, 2013, 3:59 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Our Susan Higginbotham's The Traitor's Wife. Should have read it before Hugh and Bess. This is a new time period for me in HF and enjoying it. I might have to break out my ancient Thomas Costain's The Three Edwards and catch up.[/quote]

I think both The Traitor's Wife and Hugh and Bess had me in tears, but I really enjoyed them both.

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Sat August 24th, 2013, 12:33 am

I'm reading Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat. I downloaded the sample a while back and finally decided to read it and see if it was worth buying the whole book. So I read the sample and was at least caught up enough in the story to want to know what happened next, so I went ahead and bought it.

It tells the story of the years leading up to the French Revolution, but from the point of view of the peasants instead of the royalty. So, at least to the point I am at in the book, it is set in a small village of farmers and craftspeople. Pretty good so far.

I have definitely learned my lesson about getting all hyped up about a book just from reading the book description and a few reviews and then buying it immediately. After the fiasco that was The Cross and the Dragon I will be always be reading the sample before I ever buy a full book again.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat August 24th, 2013, 12:40 am

[quote=""JenniferLovesRoxi""]I'm reading Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat. I downloaded the sample a while back and finally decided to read it and see if it was worth buying the whole book. So I read the sample and was at least caught up enough in the story to want to know what happened next, so I went ahead and bought it.

It tells the story of the years leading up to the French Revolution, but from the point of view of the peasants instead of the royalty. So, at least to the point I am at in the book, it is set in a small village of farmers and craftspeople. Pretty good so far.[/quote]

Sounds interesting! It's $4.38 for the Kindle.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 26th, 2013, 7:50 am

Send Me Safely back Again by Adrian Goldsworthy, yet another military adventure set during the Pensinsular War. Hard not to see shades of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe, especially given that the cover figure is the spitting image of Sean Bean in his Sharpe period :) , but this isn't anywhere near as derivative as Iain Gale's Keane's Company, which I read a month or so back.

On the other hand, Goldsworthy's novel is a bit drier and more militarily technical than Gale's and loses a bit of entertainment value as a consequence, so the two both have their points. Goldsworthy must be an Austen fan - good fun to see that dastardly soldier George Wickham from Pride and Prejudice in action (or as little of it as he can get away with). Wickham's ditzy, gossipy wife, Lydia (nee Bennett), and Darcy's cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam also get a mention.
Last edited by annis on Mon August 26th, 2013, 5:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon August 26th, 2013, 12:20 pm

I've just started Stormbird by Conn Inguldden, a book I've been sent to review.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon August 26th, 2013, 4:04 pm

I'm in the throes of writing the last quarter of a novel, and so I don't dare get caught up in another storyworld -- it derails my ten remaining brain cells. But I'm also weary of research tomes, so I'm re-reading Watership Down.

JenniferLovesRoxi
Scribbler

Post by JenniferLovesRoxi » Tue August 27th, 2013, 1:03 am

Okay guys, I just finished reading Spirit of Lost Angels by Liza Perrat and all I can say is wow... Just wow.

I have read a LOT of Historical Fiction over the past 15 years or so, and as a result, it is pretty difficult to find a book that really satisfies me, let alone moves me. But this book did both. I have to say that this was the best book that I have read in at least 3 or 4 years. HIGHLY recommended!!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 27th, 2013, 8:38 am

I've just started "Diving Belles" by Lucy Wood, and "The Mystery of Mercy Close" by Marian Keyes.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “General Discussion”