Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I know it had Queen in the title...

Hundreds of historical novels have "king" or "queen" in the title, but without seeing the cover or description, how do you know which monarch a book's about? Miss Moppet and other members have compiled this list to help you.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue February 12th, 2013, 3:38 pm

When I was a teenager (we are talking the 60s here) I read a novel about Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra. (Does that count as Persia?)
I have no idea what the name of the novel was, but I enjoyed it and would love to put it on my virtual bookshelf.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue February 12th, 2013, 5:25 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]And didn't she drink her husband's ashes? I agree she sounds like a great heroine![/quote]

Most rulers of that time did things we would consider despicable today. It's just life on this planet. And while I do think presidents and prme ministers are an improvement, not many of them have their hands clean of things like that either. I'm unsure about that last bit of trivia but I'll check for you. I think you're right though.
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Tue February 12th, 2013, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue February 12th, 2013, 5:26 pm

[quote=""MLE""]When I was a teenager (we are talking the 60s here) I read a novel about Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra. (Does that count as Persia?)
I have no idea what the name of the novel was, but I enjoyed it and would love to put it on my virtual bookshelf.[/quote]

Palmrya was in Syria, I think, MLE.
Last edited by Helen_Davis on Tue February 12th, 2013, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Queen Jane's Shadow by Elizabeth Fremantle

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri March 15th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Who is the Queen?

Lady Jane Grey

Is she the main character?

The book focuses on her younger sisters, Lady Katherine and Lady Mary.

Any other titles?

Not so far. Released 2014

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon August 12th, 2013, 1:59 am

Did we add EC's Summer Queen to the list yet?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed August 21st, 2013, 4:02 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Did we add EC's Summer Queen to the list yet?[/quote]

It's there now! Thanks for reminding me Nefret. :)

Return to “I Knew It Had Queen/King in the Title . . .”