Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat August 10th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Getting to go on a Summer trip finally, to the area where I used to live. It was fun to explore, then I got distracted by a bookstore. (Stared longingly at some books.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed August 14th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I just had a nice picnic lunch outside, and I found two four-leaf clovers in the grass. Two! Hopefully it means I'll be extra lucky :)

HevRob
Scribbler

Post by HevRob » Wed August 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Catching up with old friends :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed August 14th, 2013, 10:58 pm

There are two serious threats lurking in my life right now, but I can NOT seem to get myself down about it. Just acting on it all, and feeling good. If it's denial, it's a peculiarly constructive form, so I will take it.

Today, it is a SUMPTUOUSLY dazzling day. 77 degrees at what for this state in this month is usually closer to 100 and muggy. Clear, breezy. Glorious. Tomorrow they're saying it will be much the same. Gorgeous.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu August 15th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Well, I don't believe it, but yesterday I found those two four-leaf clovers in the park and today I got offered a major promotion at work, completely out of the blue. Did not see that one coming, still feeling quite stunned (but happy).

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 15th, 2013, 7:04 pm

My best thing is a morning hike with no knee pain. Yesterday I finally went to a much-recommended sports chiropractor, and after much poking and prodding and breaking down scar tissue, he criss-crossed my knee with an arrangement of tape according to which ligaments needed support.

He's not the chiropractor on my health plan, but I am SO going to find the space in my budget for this!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

It's raining (actually a good thing after the long hot dry spell), plus I nabbed the most awesome looking canister vacuum off Amazon Vine today. German made, high end model. Whoot!
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue August 20th, 2013, 1:23 am

There was a little event today at work with a masseuse giving free 15-minute chair massages in the health services suite. A friend had signed up, but then had an offsite appointment, so she gave me her time slot.

A free massage on a rainy Monday morning - especially as it was given to me by someone I adore to pieces - was a lovely start to the work week. Now I need to find a way to repay her with some sort of charming surprise!
Last edited by DianeL on Tue August 20th, 2013, 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited because: grammar!

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue August 20th, 2013, 2:20 am

Finally having time to get something sent off. (And I got new tea in the post).
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu August 22nd, 2013, 1:20 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Finally having time to get something sent off. (And I got new tea in the post).[/quote]

Nefret, can you tell me how you did that?? :) I have so many things I need to get shipped/mailed this week!

Return to “Chat”