Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2013 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sat July 6th, 2013, 1:26 pm

[quote=""annis""]I see Conn Iggulden is about to venture into the Wars of the Roses period - a major shift from Caesar's Rome and Genghis Khan's dynasty. I imagine his novel will be much more Bernard Cornwell than Phillipa Gregory, though.

The first in a series, War of the Roses: Stormbird will be released in October.[/quote]

Does anyone know if/when a U.S. edition will be released?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 6th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I don't, but I have the UK copy at the moment courtesy of Vine. It opens with Edward I's mistress sweating buckets as she single-handedly dresses the close to death king in his armour with no one else in attendance even though Edward is almost at his last gasp - finished one book this lunchtime and cracked this open over my last swallows of tea. Hmmmm, I thought.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun July 7th, 2013, 12:00 am

[quote=""EC2""]I don't, but I have the UK copy at the moment courtesy of Vine. It opens with Edward I's mistress sweating buckets as she single-handedly dresses the close to death king in his armour with no one else in attendance even though Edward is almost at his last gasp - finished one book this lunchtime and cracked this open over my last swallows of tea. Hmmmm, I thought.[/quote]

Ha ha. No, really. :rolleyes:

Ok, i guess i wont sweat the wait for the US edition.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun July 7th, 2013, 9:56 am

[quote=""JaneConsumer""]Ha ha. No, really. :rolleyes:

Ok, i guess i wont sweat the wait for the US edition.[/quote]

Since then, his three sons have arrived, chucked Alice Perrers out of the room and sat around having an 'As you know Bob' sort of political discussion while daddy wheezes his last in the background. The priest is elsewhere praying but not actually present and Edward, dressed in his armour, breathes his last without benefit of clergy or any other mourners or witnesses except the sons, none of whom gives much of a toss.
Now I'm onto Margaret of Anjou as an engaging, sweet but feisty little girl who is destined to be a heroine I suspect and who is busy being nice to the servants and getting on first name terms with them.
Les proz e les vassals

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun July 7th, 2013, 1:16 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Since then, his three sons have arrived, chucked Alice Perrers out of the room and sat around having an 'As you know Bob' sort of political discussion while daddy wheezes his last in the background. The priest is elsewhere praying but not actually present and Edward, dressed in his armour, breathes his last without benefit of clergy or any other mourners or witnesses except the sons, none of whom gives much of a toss.
Now I'm onto Margaret of Anjou as an engaging, sweet but feisty little girl who is destined to be a heroine I suspect and who is busy being nice to the servants and getting on first name terms with them.[/quote]

I do hope there's been a lapse of a few decades here?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun July 7th, 2013, 2:51 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I do hope there's been a lapse of a few decades here?[/quote]

Yes, that was just the prologue. In the author's note, Iggulden does say that he has compressed certain timelines in the interests of keeping the plot going, but that first bit is separated as a distinct '66 years' earlier. It's readable, but heavily signalled and all the baddies so far have yellow teeth and sneers on their faces. It's kind of Ken Follet in rendition and historical veracity, which probably explains why the author is so successful. I suspect if you know this period of history you might need to work at suspending your disbelief/irritation/wallbanger tendencies. If you don't you may love it.
Les proz e les vassals

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun July 7th, 2013, 4:10 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Yes, that was just the prologue. In the author's note, Iggulden does say that he has compressed certain timelines in the interests of keeping the plot going, but that first bit is separated as a distinct '66 years' earlier. It's readable, but heavily signalled and all the baddies so far have yellow teeth and sneers on their faces. It's kind of Ken Follet in rendition and historical veracity, which probably explains why the author is so successful. I suspect if you know this period of history you might need to work at suspending your disbelief/irritation/wallbanger tendencies. If you don't you may love it.[/quote]

Doesn't sound promising, but I'll probably pick it up for the rarity of a sympathetic Margaret of Anjou. Keep us posted!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun July 7th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Adapting history to suit the story is a classic Iggulden MO, and pretty much to be expected of anything he writes. I think of his style as fiction based on history rather than historical fiction. Some readers find it irritates the heck out of them, others don't give a toss as long as he comes up with a rattling good yarn, which to give him due credit he usually does, as his many fans would attest. It's a formula that works for him, so he's not likely to change it any time soon :)
Last edited by annis on Sun July 7th, 2013, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

New Downton Abbey companion book

Post by princess garnet » Sun August 11th, 2013, 12:42 am

For the upcoming 4th season, a new Downton Abbey book by Emma Rowley.
US release date: Oct. 29th

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 6th, 2013, 5:45 am

An update for anyone else who has been looking for the fourth book in Christian Cameron's Long War series. Originally titled Artemisium and due to be published mid-2013, it has been renamed The Great King and is now set for release towards the end of November this year.
Last edited by annis on Sat September 7th, 2013, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”