Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victorian Ghost Stories!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 28th, 2010, 5:00 pm

I read this about a year ago and enjoyed it, I didn't notice anything in particular about the narrative structure or writing style which bothered me. I think I felt the ending was a bit flat, so I agree that it not's really a genuine ghost story although I still found some of it creepy; I thought the reveal scenes were a bit of an anti-climax in the end, it reminded me a bit of a Victorian Jonathan Creek, if you're familiar with that TV series. But I thought it was OK as a bit of escapism.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat August 28th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Senence wasnt all that I hoped and more. It was a decent read, but at times I felt that it was a little slow. I got that Victorian Gothic feel then there were times I was rolling my eyes. I think the middle is where I lost my interest. It's been a while since I read it.

Decent read but I wasnt awe struck.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat August 28th, 2010, 7:36 pm

The Seance is on my list to read soon. I loved The Ghost Writer by the same author.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

The Seance by John Harwood

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 9th, 2010, 6:28 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I read this about a year ago and enjoyed it, I didn't notice anything in particular about the narrative structure or writing style which bothered me. I think I felt the ending was a bit flat, so I agree that it not's really a genuine ghost story although I still found some of it creepy; I thought the reveal scenes were a bit of an anti-climax in the end, it reminded me a bit of a Victorian Jonathan Creek, if you're familiar with that TV series. But I thought it was OK as a bit of escapism.[/quote]

I didn't notice anything about the narrative structure either - it reminded me a little of Susan Hill's writing.

No, it's not a genuine ghost story but I thought it was quite creepy and atmospheric. I really enjoyed it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kat
Scribbler

Post by Kat » Wed June 26th, 2013, 10:26 am

Ooooh! Ghost stories! I'm going to keep an eye on this thread as I love this sort of thing. Victorian era really lends itself to the macabre, don't you think?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 26th, 2013, 10:56 am

Yes they loved their ghost stories.

I mentioned M R James a couple of years ago on this thread (see first page) and I also found a copy of a book of ghost stories by Elizabeth Gaskell, that someone left behind at work when they moved offices - haven't read that one yet though.

If you want a more modern ghost story, but one which still has a period feel - it's set not long after WW2 - then Sarah Waters' "The Little Stranger" is pretty creepy.
Last edited by Madeleine on Wed June 26th, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

PeterKralic
Scribbler
Currently reading: A Christmas With The Dodger by Charlton Daines
Interest in HF: A teacher put a Historical Fiction book in my hands when I was ten and I immediately looked for more. It brings history to life!
Favourite HF book: Cannot choose!
Preferred HF: Ancient Egypt, Barbarian invasions of Europe c.200-400, Victorian England

Re: Victorian Ghost Stories!

Post by PeterKralic » Thu November 19th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Charles Dickens wrote some excellent Victorian ghost stories. There's a collection of them on Amazon for free if you have an ereader, or they can be had from Gutenberg.

Return to “Victorian”