Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones Season 3

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu June 6th, 2013, 4:59 am

Some encouraging hints about what to look forward to in Season 4 for those suffering blunt force trauma from the Red Wedding:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... ching.html

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 6th, 2013, 9:06 am

thanks for that article Annis. Personally I think that the rest of Book 3 gets even more audacious - especially scenes towards the end with
plus, of course,
;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu June 6th, 2013, 10:04 am

I just watched GOT last night- am still in shock from the Red Wedding (even though I had already read the books)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 6th, 2013, 10:59 am

[quote=""SCW""]I just watched GOT last night- am still in shock from the Red Wedding (even though I had already read the books)[/quote]

Yes I'm sort of dreading watching it, but interested to see how they film it. It's certainly a seismic event in the series, probably the biggest shock since
I love Annis's comparison of "blunt force trauma"!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I haven't seen the last episode yet but know what's a-coming! Dreading it! LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat June 8th, 2013, 5:05 am

I spent Friday trying to talk a friend into reading the books, even though I love the TV version, in my mind, the books are better.

You get to know the characters and what motivates them in a more personal way, which is missing in the TV version.

My friends were shocked at the Red Wedding and didn't see it coming. I told them that even though I knew, I still balled my eyes out and had such a bad night...I don't know if I could sit through something so heart wrenching again.

The one thing I can't figure out yet is how this Monday's Finale will end?

Will it be with

SPOILER
Or will that be left to Season 4?

One thing I forgot to mention was that I loved the scene between Jon and Orell(SP?)the warg...horrible man!...Then after Monday another year before season 4 :( ...but at least it seems the Season 3 DVD will soon be on sale :D YAY!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat June 8th, 2013, 8:05 am

Posted by Rebecca
One thing I forgot to mention was that I loved the scene between Jon and Orell(SP?)the warg...horrible man!.
No loss, that one! But how could Jon just up and desert Ygritte like that? What was that about love eternal??

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sat June 8th, 2013, 10:40 am

[quote=""rebecca""]I spent Friday trying to talk a friend into reading the books, even though I love the TV version, in my mind, the books are better.

You get to know the characters and what motivates them in a more personal way, which is missing in the TV version.
My friends were shocked at the Red Wedding and didn't see it coming. I told them that even though I knew, I still balled my eyes out and had such a bad night...I don't know if I could sit through something so heart wrenching again.

The one thing I can't figure out yet is how this Monday's Finale will end?

Will it be with

SPOILER
Or will that be left to Season 4?

One thing I forgot to mention was that I loved the scene between Jon and Orell(SP?)the warg...horrible man!...Then after Monday another year before season 4 :( ...but at least it seems the Season 3 DVD will soon be on sale :D YAY![/quote]

I totally agree with you about the books - you get so much more about the characters' personalities, emotions etc - as good as the TV series is, it does feel rushed at times, but Martin is excellent at showing the reader what's going on inside someone's head - I think he did this especially well with Jaime in book 3.

I think the last ep will have the
, I don't think they'll go as far as
I'm also dreading watching the rest of ep 9 :o - will do it later today.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sat June 8th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Watched it this afternoon - slightly different from the book. I liked the way they had no music over the end credits, seemed to make it more powerful somehow. I had a few sniffles -

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun June 9th, 2013, 2:58 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Rebecca

No loss, that one! But how could Jon just up and desert Ygritte like that? What was that about love eternal??[/quote]

I know the look on Ygritte's face, she was so hurt, but Jon is single minded and loyalty is a Stark trait. I also noted the look on Jorah's face when he returned from his battles and Dany asks about Daario....There is such great acting in these shows.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”