Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 5:17 pm

My One and Only. The story of George Hamilton's family during his teen years. Worth watching. Apparently he has some writing talent. Oh and the cast is great!

You Again. Nice comedy. Girl goes home for her brother's wedding and finds that he's marrying the girl who made her four years of high school a living hell. Hijinx ensue. Nice twist with the girl's aunt being the mother's ex-best friend. Again, a great cast.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu May 23rd, 2013, 12:07 am

Watched "Cheri" last night. It was nice for what it is, I suppose, but what it is was an incredibly indulgent chick flick dressed in Doucet.

Now watching "The People Versus George Lucas." As a Trek nerd, I get antsy watching SW nerds act like GL invented space sci-fi, but we'll see how it goes. :p
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu May 23rd, 2013, 3:47 am

Star Trek- Into Darkness. Spock was funny.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 23rd, 2013, 8:34 am

Not a movie, but a show at the theatre. I went to see Blood Brothers at the Grand Theatre in Leeds yesterday. It's the fourth time I've been to see and I still loved it! A fantastic performance.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon May 27th, 2013, 9:25 am

I saw The Great Gatsby at the cinema last night. It was very very pretty to look at, and I think considering all the computerised effects the acting was rather good (especially DiCaprio, who I wasn't particularly a fan of before), since a lot of it must have been filmed in front of a green screen.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon May 27th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Finally saw Into Darkness; as deep as Trek is in my DNA, it was a very satisfying flick, even better than the 2009 feature. Abrams made a lot of noise with that release, that he was giving Trek the Star Wars treatment; and I can admit, it was a good adventure. This film, though, was ALL Trek, and that made it a bit deeper a story and all the better.

I also watched "Bloodline" this weekend, a bit of a melodramatic documentary following an investigation of the Merovingian Heresy. Because "The Ax and the Vase" happens to be about Clovis I, the founder of this dynasty, I have a passing interest (if not apoplectic frustration) in the conspiracy, so I figured what the heck. And something funny happened along the way ...
Last edited by DianeL on Mon May 27th, 2013, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue May 28th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Saw Iron Man 3 on Friday with my daughter--lots of fun seeing Robert Downey Jr. out of the suit for most of the show. Also Frances Ha with my hubby--a quirky coming of age tale about a young(ish) woman in NYC.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 12:29 am

"Libeled Lady" is playing on TCM tonight, watching and recording it right now. Jean Harlow at her best, with William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Spencer Tracy. Woo!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 1:16 am

This weekend watched the movie Lawless and finsihed watching season one of Longmire. Longmire has become my new favorite show.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 2:00 am

The Life of Pi. A bit slow, and the training of the tiger was all changed. A pity, because the simple, realistic process by which Pi related to Richard Parker was one of the highlights of the book, at least for me. As a trainer, it was what made me believe in the story completely.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”