Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 20th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Congratulations, Annis! and Faith also!
I should drop into this thread more often :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon May 20th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Felicitations to the Annis family!

Today was great for me because the weight of weeks (... months ...) has lifted. I kicked BOOTY today. Woot! :D
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue May 21st, 2013, 9:11 pm

Congratulations, Annis and all the best for the happy couple!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Wonderful news, Annis. Congratulations!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 11:30 pm

Thanks very much, all. By chance the wedding fell very close to the date of our own wedding anniversary - the 42nd one this year :) Because the bride is Brazilian and has a large Catholic family back home who want to share in the marriage, this small, intimate wedding was by way of an appetiser- the full wedding mass and formal deal takes place next year in Brazil!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon May 27th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Perhaps not an obvious "best" thing, but I finally received my rejection from Carole Blake this weekend. It took a long time, but I never really expected more - just an instinct. The good thing about this is that it's inspiring me to use my holiday to work on the WIP. I've got my research stacked, my highlighter at the ready, and time to tear into, hopefully, more than one text today. I've left writing off my plate for too many weeks now; it's a good thing I have a way of making a lot of progress at a time when I do put myself to it.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri May 31st, 2013, 12:41 am

Got a step increase at work so a bit more pay.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon June 3rd, 2013, 11:36 pm

Yesterday I set the goal to plough through two texts worth of research and query at least two agents. I only managed one book (but it was J. B. Bury - a rich enough vein for two), but I did FIVE queries and have one bubbling in my brain, a re-query of an agent who bit on a partial before The Late Revision. Taking tomorrow off for some contractors, so planning some more progress in this area. *Fingers crossed*

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat June 8th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Spent a little while this morning before getting up, lazing a bit with Penelope. She was relatively quiet for a good long belly rub.

Yesterday - had an enormously stressful personal appointment that stripped away some illusions and hope but ended by being overall fairly positive.

This past week - six queries out. That's not a bad count, for me. More this weekend; I have a re-query I need to spend some attention and time on.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue June 11th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Saw the new Hobbit trailer, got higher grades than I was expecting, received new tea in the post, and I have job interview this afternoon.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Chat”