Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Sun April 7th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Finished the Passage to India job. 24 hours to form a window.
Man I hope they're happy with it. Cat's had a good day too
tells me his plan for World Domination succeeded. Well I think
that's what the look said.

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Mon April 8th, 2013, 10:52 pm

The Scottish Parliament job was confirmed as starting tomorrow. So that keeps me employed for another few weeks. And one of the boys said he'll give me a lift with my tools. Result !!

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue April 9th, 2013, 9:49 am

[quote=""kodiakblair""]The Scottish Parliament job was confirmed as starting tomorrow. So that keeps me employed for another few weeks. And one of the boys said he'll give me a lift with my tools. Result !![/quote]

That Scottish Parliament building is just awful. Well I haven't seen the inside, but from the outside it's not pretty.

Just as long as Salmond himself isn't paying you - he's the MSP for our constituency, and a few years ago he held a Saturday night ceilidh in the town hall so he could meet and greet everyone. He booked a local young ceilidh band to play (17-18 year olds) and at first expected them to do the gig for free. When they explained they'd be taking the night off work elsewhere to do it and so would lose earnings, he then offered them a fiver each! All politics aside, you'd think he could pay a bit better than that...

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Thu April 11th, 2013, 7:41 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]That Scottish Parliament building is just awful. Well I haven't seen the inside, but from the outside it's not pretty.

Just as long as Salmond himself isn't paying you - he's the MSP for our constituency, and a few years ago he held a Saturday night ceilidh in the town hall so he could meet and greet everyone. He booked a local young ceilidh band to play (17-18 year olds) and at first expected them to do the gig for free. When they explained they'd be taking the night off work elsewhere to do it and so would lose earnings, he then offered them a fiver each! All politics aside, you'd think he could pay a bit better than that...[/quote]

It does take some getting used too. I think one of our problems was the cost. Donald Dewer was really out of touch there. Recently worked on a small school extension , Two floors and maybe four classrooms and that was a £3,000,000 and they already owned the land. From a professional point of view there is some great design work there. Coming from house building to forming curved ceilings was great fun. And I've got to say I'm glad I was a part of building it, my names written behind walls and ceilings all over that place.

As for Mr Salmond you know I've met him a few times and never seen him buy around of drinks. You'd think he was a Fifer

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Made us smile

Post by kodiakblair » Mon April 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Bunch of us were unloading a load of granite slabs today when this wee woman can walking by with her dog. She was dressed for walking hat, backpack, etc but the dog had it's Skip cap at a jaunty angle and bright scarf round it's neck. But the panniers it was carrying was the topper. Every time I looked was expecting to see shades as well. Hope someone got a photo.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue April 30th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Your post reminded me that quite frequently when I pick up my youngest from school I see a lady walking her dog. It's an all-white, long-haired, tiny dog (not sure what breed), and it's always garbed in a doggie sweater and boots (yes, boots, especially if it has rained). Sometimes I think the dog walks her, as I see her carrying the dog rather than walking it if the ground is particularly nasty.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon May 6th, 2013, 12:45 am

My doggie has a wide range of clothes including a pink and green slicker and a life preserver. Your posts make me wonder what people are saying about us. :rolleyes:

The best thing today, a glorious day with lots of flowers blooming in my yard.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu May 9th, 2013, 3:58 am

My internet is back. Was out for almost two days.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 9th, 2013, 8:38 am

[quote=""rockygirl""]My doggie has a wide range of clothes including a pink and green slicker and a life preserver. Your posts make me wonder what people are saying about us. :rolleyes:

The best thing today, a glorious day with lots of flowers blooming in my yard.[/quote]

Recently looked after a friend's dog who has a few outfits - a bright pink raincoat, a skinny rib, dark red sweater with fur hood, and the only outfit I could get on her - a Sarah Lund-style sweater with the black and white star pattern (as in the first series of the original version of The Killing). I said I wouldn't be seen out with a dog which wore clothes, but it was cold ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:52 am

[quote=""rockygirl""]My doggie has a wide range of clothes including a pink and green slicker and a life preserver. Your posts make me wonder what people are saying about us. :rolleyes:

The best thing today, a glorious day with lots of flowers blooming in my yard.[/quote]

I do giggle at dogs wearing outfits, but as long as the doggie's happy, there's no harm in it :)

Return to “Chat”