Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? May 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon May 6th, 2013, 4:05 am

I finally finished 'Insurrection' by Robyn Young. It was a bit slow in the beginning but improved later on. I will now read the follow up 'Renegade' and then wait for the third and final book in the Bruce trilogy.

Bec :)

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon May 6th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Finished The First Princess of Wales last night; it did improve slightly towards the end (more action and excitement) but the story was still a bit silly for my liking.

Now reading Strangers and Pilgrims by Maggie Bennett, set in the same time period.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon May 6th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Started a new research book The Greek Roman World and fell asleep after two pages! Did better after dinner.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

njslater
Scribbler

Post by njslater » Mon May 6th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Birth of a Nation by Julian Rathbone

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Wed May 8th, 2013, 1:21 am

I have started Anne Easter Smith's Royal Mistress and am enjoying it immensely! My favourite time period! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed May 8th, 2013, 5:52 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]I enjoyed that one - it does get better as the book goes on, but the storyline and characterisation is much better in the story set in the past, IMO.[/quote]

I'm really enjoying The Island House. I think that anyone who enjoys Barbara Erskine's books would enjoy this one. It has a hint of the supernaturals about it!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed May 8th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders, latest in Gyles Brandreth's series of historical mysteries featuring real-life friends Oscar Wilde and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

An enjoyable well-plotted series with plenty of ironic wit, Edwardian atmosphere and enough twists and turns to keep the reader's attention. The flamboyant Wilde and his steadfast companion Doyle seem tailor-made as Holmes and Watson respectively, but there is a belief that it was Sherlock's older, even more brilliant brother Mycroft for whom Doyle took Wilde as his model.
Last edited by annis on Wed May 8th, 2013, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu May 9th, 2013, 12:04 am

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan; When I finish this one I'll be done with all of Rick Riordan's YA published books about mythology. I would have loved these books as a kid.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 9th, 2013, 8:32 am

I'm looking forward to The Island House.

I have all of Gyles Brandreth's Oscar Wilde books, must get round to reading them sometime! They look like fun.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri May 10th, 2013, 12:00 am

Finished The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze, teen read
There's supposed to be a sequel but nothing yet.

Now: Jewels by Victoria Finlay (NF)
A look at 9 precious gemstones.
Atlanta's Ponce de Leon Avenue by Sharon F. Jones (NF)
Local history of Atlanta's famous street

Return to “General Discussion”