Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 6th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Posted by Lady of Bennachie
Agreed. Can anyone recommend any good non-timeslip Pictish fiction?
I rather liked Jack Dixon's The Pict, though I felt he could have done a bit more with it - it's quite short and fairly romanticised. The hero Calach is clearly based on the Pictish leader named by Tacitus as Calgacus.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon May 6th, 2013, 7:47 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Lady of Bennachie

I rather liked Jack Dixon's The Pict, though I felt he could have done a bit more with it - it's quite short and fairly romanticised. The hero Calach is clearly based on the Pictish leader named by Tacitus as Calgacus.[/quote]

Thanks! It's cheap-ish on Kindle so worth a try. And it features the Battle of Mons Graupius, which probably isn't unusual for a novel about the Picts, but one of the proposed sites where the battle may have taken place is the hill in the background of my avatar. That's near my house, so I always find that subject interesting.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:18 am

I'm now alternating between the village of Steeple Martin in Kent, and Victorian London.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue May 14th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I'm stuck in a kind of limbo, which looks like a castle bedchamber and is populated with ranting, high-profile Tudor women. I just want to get out of here (both in the book and IRL)!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 28th, 2013, 8:42 am

I'm now alternating between Edwardian London, where I've just started a new job, and Victorian London, where there have been appalling goings-on in a brothel and an asylum.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue June 4th, 2013, 9:58 am

I'm alternating between Leh, in India, trying to find out about some family history, and Trenton, New Jersey.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 14th, 2013, 8:50 am

I'm now on a houseboat on Lake Srinigar, and have just inherited a house in Wiltshire.

DanielAWillis
Reader

In 1942

Post by DanielAWillis » Sat June 15th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I'm in a small English village, plotting an incursion deep into German endeavoring to learn the goings on at a particular concentration camp. An uprising at said camp will be the climax of this book.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Kat
Scribbler

Post by Kat » Wed June 26th, 2013, 10:29 am

[quote=""LadyB""]Thanks! It's cheap-ish on Kindle so worth a try. And it features the Battle of Mons Graupius, which probably isn't unusual for a novel about the Picts, but one of the proposed sites where the battle may have taken place is the hill in the background of my avatar. That's near my house, so I always find that subject interesting.[/quote]

Re The Pict by Jack Dixon, I note a used paperback is cheaper than the Kindle version on Amazon UK. I may go for it as it sounds interesting.

Kat
Scribbler

Post by Kat » Wed June 26th, 2013, 10:30 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm now alternating between the village of Steeple Martin in Kent, and Victorian London.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to getting back to Victorian London after I finish a holiday in Fantasy land. More specifically, Dickensian London. I can never seem to get enough.

Return to “General Discussion”