Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

13 Century Byzantium

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

13 Century Byzantium

Post by Rowan » Wed April 17th, 2013, 4:06 pm

While my first love is and probably always will be ancient British history, I do find learning about other areas of the world quite fascinating. I'm currently listening to an audiobook set in Constantinople during the years after the Fourth Crusade and it has really fascinated me. I'm looking for any books covering that similar time period.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed April 17th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Two non-fiction titles I've read:
Byzantine Empresses by Lynda Garland
Women in Purple by Judith Herrin

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed April 17th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Alfred Duggan wrote "Lord Geoffrey's Fancy" set in about 1245 in the latin kingdom of Byzantium. It shows great interplay betwixt the French nobles and the conquored Greeks (or Griffons as they were called)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu April 18th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Why Griffons?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 18th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Griffon seems to have been a general French term for the Greek (as they called themselves) inhabitants of the Byzantine Empire - the Crusader state of Akova in Greece was even called in French La baronie de Mathe-Griffon, which charmingly translates as something like "the barony of Greek-killers". Origin is not clear, but could possibly have been derogatory (there was no love lost bewteen the Greeks and the Franks) - a griffon was a type of dog bred in northern France. The more obvious origin could be the mythological griffin (also griffon in French) used as a symbol of the Byzantine Empire, as seen on flags etc.

*Edited to say I've just found this thread which seems to confirm the griffin-as-Byzantine-symbol option
http://historum.com/medieval-byzantine- ... reeks.html

As far as non-fiction goes, you could give Donald Queller's Fourth Crusade a go, or John Julius Norwich's Byzantium: Decline and Fall. For an overview of Byzantium's history in general, Norwich's A Short History of Byzantium is also excellent.
Last edited by annis on Fri April 19th, 2013, 2:42 am, edited 10 times in total.

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”