Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who do you think will become our next president?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:12 am

[quote=""Catherine Delors""]Please, Donroc, don't blame the lawyers for any upcoming mess! Blame it on the electoral college system. :( [/quote]

Imperfect as it is, the electoral system prevents the worse insanity of too many parties. So far, we are still the United STATES, not the United People, and the states do the electing..

Lawyering happens only in close elections anyway, and this one may well be a blowout. 2000 was an anomaly.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:24 am

Obama! He's got 206 electoral votes right now, vs McCain's 135. I cast my vote more for the Democratic Party than Obama specifically; I was a Hillary Clinton supporter, though I do believe it's high time a person of color became our president. And if he does win - which appears most likely - my faith in the USA will be somewhat restored. After the past 8 years of Republican madness, it's time the country woke up and smelled the deficit.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:28 am

I wanted a woman before anything else. And I didnt get that. And I'm still a jaded, pissed off hillary supporter. So I voted for her. Once again women were pushed to the side, like all the other damn times.

I dislike Obama and I am not in the mood for 4 years of his crap. And now that the house and senate are going Dem I'm so not in the mood to watch my money be thrown away to any lowlife. I struggle enough but I get NOTHING. I'm tired of it. Damn tired of it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

"The prejudice against color, of which we hear so much, is no stronger than that against sex. It is produced by the same cause, and manifested very much in the same way."

Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Last edited by Divia on Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 5th, 2008, 4:10 am

Obama won?! Online, on TV I'm seeing that he's been declared the winner, but is it really real, can I celebrate yet?!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed November 5th, 2008, 6:16 am

Yep, it's official! Barack Obama is our next President! This is so huge for our country and the world. We had a choice to continue on with the old divisive politics, trickle down economics, and support of an immoral war but we as a country chose a different path. I was a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton but seeing how Obama ran his campaign and how he never descended into the ugliness that was directed towards him by the McCain campaign gave me tremendous respect for him and made me much more comfortable supporting him. This was a turning point in history and I feel we are on a very positive constructive path. The "White Only" sign on the White House has been torn down. Next time we'll tear down the "Men Only" sign!!!!

The only blight is that it looks like CA Prop 8 will pass. It gives me a knot in my stomach on what is otherwise a very positive night for America! My heart goes out to all the couples in CA who will have been discriminated against by this travesty! Sooner or later though justice and tolerance will prevail. It just sucks that it looks like it'll be later instead of sooner this time.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed November 5th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Umm yipppeee.

I heard, though I dont know if this is true or not..the dems want to make another stimulas package. Yeah, change indeed!

As to that men only sign. BS. That's never going to be torn down.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Well, I wasn't too keen on either candidate (and I don't care much for Hillary, either), so I guess this just makes things interesting. I'm very apolitical; I hate partisan politics and I've seen it grow nastier every term; so much so that I've grown quite thoroughly disgusted with the far left and the far right and most particularly political posturing and propaganda that gets spit out and regurgitated by both sides. There's not a party out there that represents "me". I doubt there ever will be.

I am encouraged that McCain gave a gracious concession speech. As for women in politics, I think some inroads were made this election with women being elected to offices in their state or in Congress, but I do not vote according to race, gender or one overriding issue; I vote for whom I think is the best qualified and the most willing to work toward pragmatic and reasonable solutions given the circumstances we face (and at least half the time, I feel that person doesn't exist). As for racism in this country - because I get the feeling other countries have this skewed vision of how problematic it is in this country - I very much feel that it's overstated. Sure, there are pockets that still have issues, but by and large in the working world, racism is something I feel is behind us (and has been for a number of years, not because of this historic election). I am white, live in a neighborhood that is 65% Black; 20% Hispanic and 15% White/Other. My kids go to public school. I work for a global firm where I'd bet over 50% of our professionals are other than white and our executives come from diverse ethnic backgrounds. Over 75% of the MBA's we've hired this year were not born in the US, but were educated here and now reside here. What does that tell you? I don't see racism as an issue any longer, and I didn't see it as an issue in this election. I only see racism as an issue for people holding outdated grudges and wanting to advance a political agenda.

This is a rare thing for me to even comment about politics. I regard politics as something deeply personal and private. I do see this as an historic moment for us, but I'm going to grow tired of hearing about it if they don't move forward and work together to get things done. I do not believe, and will never believe, that one, single person can solve any nation's problems (nor do I believe that one person is responsible for all of them).

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I'm very apolitical; I hate partisan politics and I've seen it grow nastier every term; so much so that I've grown quite thoroughly disgusted with the far left and the far right and most particularly political posturing and propaganda that gets spit out and regurgitated by both sides.
I heard that, we had a couple of tight races here in Washington State that went way over the top in nastiness. I am so happy to turn on the TV today and not have to hear one more vicious political ad.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:11 pm

There's more than enough nastiness to go around on the political posts too where I am an arbiter at AW.

Some cannot handle disagreement and get personally vicious. Politics is religion for too many, and even genial skepticism is viciously attacked.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Wed November 5th, 2008, 8:58 pm

I think Divia is overly pessimistic about the 'Men Only' sign. After all, India's had a woman prime minister, and so have the Phillipines (sp?), Ireland, Israel, and we had Mrs T here in the UK, so why not in the States?

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”