Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 29th, 2013, 10:21 am

A four day holiday weekend, yay!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri March 29th, 2013, 11:07 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]A four day holiday weekend, yay![/quote]

Lucky you, we don't have that up here! I suppose it makes up for the fact we get January 2nd off though (supposedly because we're all hungover after drinking too much whisky...).

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri March 29th, 2013, 10:02 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]A four day holiday weekend, yay![/quote]

Me too!!!!
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri March 29th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Getting to sit in front of my computer and do nothing exerting whatsoever. I've been packing the Ohlone Trail this past week, which was absolutely gorgeous but more rugged than any high Sierra trail we do. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. And poison oak.
Ah home sweet home.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat March 30th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Typed "the end" on a very messy, incomplete ms. this morning. :D I've been participating in a kind of NaNo lite challenge this month to write 30,000 words and chose a project that I already had outlined and a few chapters written. I shelved it several years ago, but his challenge was just what I needed to get me into gear. Very happy about the result (42,600 new words to add to the 11,000 already done), because I'm a much better rewriter, than writer and this gives me lots of material to work on. Contemplating a similar challenge on a companion book for April. The only downside, is that I've done almost no reading for pleasure this month. :(
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Thu April 4th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Best thing today. Been out of work last few weeks and got a call
today to re-fit an Indian Restaurant over the weekend then start
work at Scottish Parliament on Tuesday for 3 Weeks. Better go
now up at 0500.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 5th, 2013, 2:39 am

[quote=""kodiakblair""]Best thing today. Been out of work last few weeks and got a call
today to re-fit an Indian Restaurant over the weekend then start
work at Scottish Parliament on Tuesday for 3 Weeks. Better go
now up at 0500.[/quote]

What do you do?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 5th, 2013, 2:57 am

Harmony has finished all her high school credits and so is done with school! She'll still be in the graduation ceremony in June (I was going to be pissed off if she wasn't going to be considering all the years she's been in school cause of her learning problems and not to mention I spent the money on her cap, gown, and stole! And dang it I wanna see her get her diploma!).

Speaking of her stole, they gave her two, when I only paid for one. I called Jostens and the woman had the audacity to ask if I could mail it back and I said "I don't think I should have to do that," it wasn't my fault and I'm not going to spend money to correct their mistake. So Harm will have to take it back to the school after their spring break.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

kodiakblair
Scribbler

Post by kodiakblair » Fri April 5th, 2013, 6:36 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]What do you do?

SM[/quote]

I'm a Carpenter.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat April 6th, 2013, 11:14 pm

This week has been full of Best Things - my brother and two nieces are in town. Many good family meals, some outings to parks, time with elder niece (a fun sleepover - and we watched a PBS Viking documentary! as well as Eddie Izzard!), time with my brother finding, buying, and planting some grasses and a beautiful little sassafras tree. Today I went to a local writing/geek/subculture/gaming/etc. con and had fun. Tomorrow is their last day in town, and I will miss them so much.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Chat”