Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

E-book Freebies and Deals 2013

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed March 27th, 2013, 9:41 pm

How odd, I wonder if it just gave me that price as a conversion then since I'm in the UK? Sometimes when I follow a link to a US Kindle deal/freebie it says pricing info is not available, so I guess that refers to titles not available in the UK. So the prices given for these on the US site must be a straight dollar conversion Of the UK price (I thought $3.03 was a weird price). Sorry to get your hopes up, guys :(

(emr - do you get that message about no pricing info sometimes too? My theory now is that although we can access and buy Kindle books on either our own country's or the .com site, the selection and pricing remains the same, going by what's available to our country. Although .com will still be useful for folks wanting to d/l English books in a non-native English country.)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 27th, 2013, 10:14 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]How odd, I wonder if it just gave me that price as a conversion then since I'm in the UK? Sometimes when I follow a link to a US Kindle deal/freebie it says pricing info is not available, so I guess that refers to titles not available in the UK. So the prices given for these on the US site must be a straight dollar conversion Of the UK price (I thought $3.03 was a weird price). Sorry to get your hopes up, guys :(

(emr - do you get that message about no pricing info sometimes too? My theory now is that although we can access and buy Kindle books on either our own country's or the .com site, the selection and pricing remains the same, going by what's available to our country. Although .com will still be useful for folks wanting to d/l English books in a non-native English country.)[/quote]

When I look at kindle books at the .uk site, I always see pricing info not available *shrugs*

Just got this as a freebie. Might appeal to MLE in particular: Flower from Castile Trilogy - Book One: The Alhambra Decree by Lilian Gafni
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed March 27th, 2013, 10:19 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]
(emr - do you get that message about no pricing info sometimes too? My theory now is that although we can access and buy Kindle books on either our own country's or the .com site, the selection and pricing remains the same, going by what's available to our country. Although .com will still be useful for folks wanting to d/l English books in a non-native English country.)[/quote]

I get Pricing information not available from all the kindle .uk. And from some of the .com too. Although sometimes there are other editions available of the same book. ::shrug::
When Smashwords has the same title for sale it's almost always cheaper and I've never found a not available tag. I think they don't try to charge me extra taxes. For instance: Dead In Red by L.L. Bartlett is $6.68 on amazon and $4.99 on smashwords. On the other hand Nox Dormienda by Kelli Stanley is now cheaper on amazon hmmmm...
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu March 28th, 2013, 2:11 am

Well....from Australia we have to buy kindle books from the US site. I tried those links and they are both unavailable from here. Look up Anne O'brien and all her kindle books, you find another version of The Forbidden Queen...however it if $9.99.

These discriminations on availability and pricing are frustrating!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 28th, 2013, 3:01 am

Like Amanda says- frustrating. Kindle books from Amazon UK are not available at all Downunder. Sometimes Kindle books from UK authors do turn up on Amazon (US) (where us benighted Australasians are allowed to buy), but they are often at outrageous prices. Special deals are very variable- sometimes we can get them, other times, not.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu March 28th, 2013, 8:50 am

Yet we use the english language in the UK style! Doesn't not make sense!

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu March 28th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Joan Wolf's Born of the Sun and

The Edge of Light

are each $3.99 (US)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 28th, 2013, 11:36 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Joan Wolf's Born of the Sun and

The Edge of Light

are each $3.99 (US)[/quote]

And both are excellent books.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri March 29th, 2013, 9:26 am

Just checked Amazon UK and quite a few Joan Wolf titles are £2-3 here too :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri March 29th, 2013, 10:01 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Joan Wolf's Born of the Sun and

The Edge of Light

are each $3.99 (US)[/quote]

Yep picked up both! Amazing books
Brenna

Return to “General Discussion”