Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dejavu book covers

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue March 26th, 2013, 11:07 pm

She looks like a prom queen. And a Californian one at that. These women took pains not to get tanned like a peasant.
Last edited by emr on Wed March 27th, 2013, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 27th, 2013, 12:43 am

OK, I swear this one looks familiar - and please note that I am thoroughly enjoying this book - but I swear I've seen this lady's back before.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed March 27th, 2013, 10:57 am

I thought the same thing - I can't find anything exactly the same though. I wonder if it's maybe just because it's similar to the cover of Helen Hollick's The Forever Queen, which of course has similar subject matter. Is the lady on the cover of Shadow on the Crown also meant to be Emma?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 27th, 2013, 11:46 am

Looks like the front door of Hever Castle if I remember it rightly.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 27th, 2013, 11:51 am

The dress and the architecture surround are around 500 years out, but we all know that publishers don't do historical accuracy on their covers. I think this one was commissioned for the novel, but there have been a few very similar ones about. Alison Weir's one The Lady Elizabeth has the same motion. I think there's an Arthurian one with the same look too.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 27th, 2013, 1:15 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]I thought the same thing - I can't find anything exactly the same though. I wonder if it's maybe just because it's similar to the cover of Helen Hollick's The Forever Queen, which of course has similar subject matter. Is the lady on the cover of Shadow on the Crown also meant to be Emma?[/quote]

I would assume she's supposed to be Emma. It is fun when you can spot these. And please anyone stumbling on this thread - this is all in spirit of sport and fun. Geez Louise, but I spotted a kindle freebie last month that wasn't to my tastes, but I wanted it on the Goodreads feed in case my friends were interested, so I stuck it on my no-thank-you shelf (which I use for a variety of books I want to shelve, but might not read). A month later a screen cap of that shelving shows up on that vile website we shall not name as one of several examples of meanies picking on a poor author. If they'd just read the comment I left saying it wasn't my cuppa tea, but free today if friends were interested, but no... :(

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 27th, 2013, 1:36 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I would assume she's supposed to be Emma. It is fun when you can spot these. And please anyone stumbling on this thread - this is all in spirit of sport and fun. Geez Louise, but I spotted a kindle freebie last month that wasn't to my tastes, but I wanted it on the Goodreads feed in case my friends were interested, so I stuck it on my no-thank-you shelf (which I use for a variety of books I want to shelve, but might not read). A month later a screen cap of that shelving shows up on that vile website we shall not name as one of several examples of meanies picking on a poor author. If they'd just read the comment I left saying it wasn't my cuppa tea, but free today if friends were interested, but no... :( [/quote]

Indeed. If I could find the copy of my own book (upthread) that's the same, I'd post it here. I think it was Turkish. It's interesting from a marketing and psychology viewpoint - and fun. I wouldn't for one moment intend malice or think that malice was intended by anyone commenting here. But I do know whereof you speak Misfit and such behaviour is pathetic. (theirs, not yours!!!).
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 27th, 2013, 3:34 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Indeed. If I could find the copy of my own book (upthread) that's the same, I'd post it here. I think it was Turkish. It's interesting from a marketing and psychology viewpoint - and fun. I wouldn't for one moment intend malice or think that malice was intended by anyone commenting here. But I do know whereof you speak Misfit and such behaviour is pathetic. (theirs, not yours!!!).[/quote]

Have to admit I was a bit surprised to see a shelving of mine screen grabbed and posted there - especially since the FB kerfuffle being discussed was an author/book I'd never heard of, a genre I'd never touch (vampires). I go to the book page on GR and was scratching my head since I didn't have said book on any shelf at all. I went to the shelf in question and looked what I had shelved on that particular date and then I was able to piece things together. But that site that shall not be named would never ever manipulate their *evidence*. :( :rolleyes: ;)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu March 28th, 2013, 3:18 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I would assume she's supposed to be Emma. It is fun when you can spot these. And please anyone stumbling on this thread - this is all in spirit of sport and fun. Geez Louise, but I spotted a kindle freebie last month that wasn't to my tastes, but I wanted it on the Goodreads feed in case my friends were interested, so I stuck it on my no-thank-you shelf (which I use for a variety of books I want to shelve, but might not read). A month later a screen cap of that shelving shows up on that vile website we shall not name as one of several examples of meanies picking on a poor author. If they'd just read the comment I left saying it wasn't my cuppa tea, but free today if friends were interested, but no... :( [/quote]

Lol, I love that site, it's so ridiculous I just have to laugh at it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 28th, 2013, 4:15 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Lol, I love that site, it's so ridiculous I just have to laugh at it.[/quote]

I know. I try to follow their process of A to B to C and the conclusions they draw, but they always lose me 1/4 of the way through :confused: ;)

Return to “General Discussion”