Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Dani
Scribbler

Post by Dani » Tue November 4th, 2008, 2:19 pm

I am reading the Last Heiress its historical romance set in the Tudor Court its the last of the Friarsgate series By Bertrice Small

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 4th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I started The Tsarina's Daughter by Carrolly Erickson this morning, although I've got a sneaking feeling that it's going to be hitting the wall very soon. Someone want to tell me what a "historical entertainment" novel is? That's what this book is being referred to on the book jacket.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 4th, 2008, 4:55 pm

I'm going for a bit of light relief and guaranteed daftness after reading The Heretic's Daughter - I'm reading Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham by M C Beaton.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue November 4th, 2008, 6:30 pm

"The Outlander" by Gil Adamson, which is set in the mountainous area of western Canada during the early years of the twentieth century. I'm very impressed with her writing.
Gil Adamson spent 10 years on this novel. The story of how the book eventually got published is in the author profile here:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... .php?t=808

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:12 am

On a Wild Night - Stephanie Laurens

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 5th, 2008, 9:00 am

The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed November 5th, 2008, 7:35 pm

I've finished "Ghost Stories of the Civil War" by Dan Asfar & Edrick Thay, a bit appropriate I thought with Halloween and the historic election last night!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed November 5th, 2008, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 5th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Quilter's Homecoming by Jennifer Chiaverini

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed November 5th, 2008, 7:54 pm

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]I'm reading Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett and really enjoying it so far. I'll hold off my judgment, though, until I see what she does with Sir Thomas More....[/quote]
I really enjoyed this book. I have heard very mixed reviews, either you love it or hate it. So, I am curious to know what you think of it, when you are done. I found it wasn't a real high paced book, but I found the characters have some depth to them and they kind of haunt you afterwards.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu November 6th, 2008, 2:28 am

I am now reading East of the Sun by Julia Gregson, which is set in India in the 1920s. So far, it's pretty good.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”