Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Vow On the Heron - Victoria Holt

(including the other many pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert)
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Vow On the Heron - Victoria Holt

Post by Misfit » Thu November 13th, 2008, 5:30 pm

This just popped up on my Amazon recs. Appears to be about Edward III (BB's period I think??). Anyone read it?

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu November 13th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Haven't read it yet, but it's being reissued by Randomhouse UKin March 2009.

I wonder what the new cover is going to be like.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu November 13th, 2008, 6:54 pm

I've read it, and it is about Edward III and his family. It's part of Jean Plaidy's Plantagenet series, following The Follies of the King (Edward II). It's OK, not as good as her Tudor novels like Murder Most Royal, and some of it's based on research that has since become dated (the story about Edward III trying to rape the Countess of Salisbury, for instance, is now considered a French slander). Still, it's an entertaining enough read, especially if you're interested in knowing more about the women in Edward III's family.

And that cover is one of my favorites. Queen Phillippa, whose outfit reminds me of something my Barbie dolls in the 1960's wore, certainly never looked so hot, and if the woman is supposed to be Alice Perrers, the king on the cover is way too young!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu November 13th, 2008, 7:08 pm

And that cover is one of my favorites. Queen Phillippa, whose outfit reminds me of something my Barbie dolls in the 1960's wore, certainly never looked so hot, and if the woman is supposed to be Alice Perrers, the king on the cover is way too young
:D :D

Well the library had it so I placed a hold. WTH, I can always add it to my Is there a good book behind that cheesy cover Listmania :p :)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri November 14th, 2008, 1:53 am

I thought it was OK - not one of her best but definately not one of the worst either.

4ever Queen
Reader

The Vow on the Heron

Post by 4ever Queen » Fri August 28th, 2009, 5:30 pm

i havent read this one either, I'd love to though, it's been hard to find the one...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri August 28th, 2009, 6:21 pm

[quote=""4ever Queen""]i havent read this one either, I'd love to though, it's been hard to find the one...[/quote]

There are copies on Amazon starting at $4.25.

http://www.amazon.com/Vow-Heron-Jean-Pl ... 605&sr=8-1
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 28th, 2009, 6:42 pm

[quote=""4ever Queen""]i havent read this one either, I'd love to though, it's been hard to find the one...[/quote]

Don't forget to try your library and if they don't there's always interlibrary loan. I know there's at least one in the country that has it :)

I found it a bit dry and didn't finish it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sat April 28th, 2012, 1:49 am

Jean Plaidys best novels were the Tudor ones. (in my opinion) Though The Princess of Celle (About George the Firsts wife) is a good read.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat February 2nd, 2013, 3:24 am

I agree with you, SCW. With her Tudor novels I felt she really got a feel for the period and the people. I felt that also with her Queens of England series-- all fabulous and an inspiration for my writing style! I couldn't get through the ones on Anne of Neville or Mary II though-- I would have preferred Philippa of Hainualt or Anne to tell their stories since they are, IMO, much more fascinating than the other queens I just mentioned.

Stick with her Tudor stuff, IMO. I threw her Norman and Plantagenet novels at the wall! :mad: But the Charles II trilogy is good too!

PS: Misfit, I think she wrote this one as Jean Plaidy, not as Victoria Holt.

Return to “Jean Plaidy”