Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue November 20th, 2012, 9:18 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]FYI: The US edition of A Storm of Swords was published as one volume; the UK edition was published as two volumes. I think the UK did the same with A Dance with Dragons.
[/quote]

I think for Dance with Dragons, it was only two volumes for the paperback, I guess because it was just too long to physically fit in a standard size paperback! Here's the full book in hardcover, available in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-With-Drag ... 939&sr=8-2

And has a note that says:

A Dance with Dragons: Paperback editions
Customers looking for the paperback edition of A Dance with Dragons should note that the publisher has released this as two books. The first part of the paperback edition is A Dance with Dragons Part 1: Dreams and Dust and the second part is A Dance with Dragons Part 2: After the Feast. Together, these paperback editions feature the same content as the single volume hardcover.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 20th, 2012, 10:09 am

Series 3 will cover Storm of Swords - not sure how much of it but I think Book 3 (I'll treat as one book even though it was split in two for the UK) will be spread over 2 series, so the next series ie next year will be based on Book 3. Think it's Feast of Crows which doesn't have Tyrion, so perhaps series 4 will combine the rest of book 3 ie Storm of Swords, with Feast.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 20th, 2012, 10:39 am

Does that mean, Madeleine, I only have to read part one of Storm of Swords? Or should I read both? Will you be reading both?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 20th, 2012, 11:26 am

Probably worth reading both, I will!

Sky Atlantic's website says it will be "loosely based" on the third book, so it's up to you!
Last edited by Madeleine on Tue November 20th, 2012, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed January 16th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Finally picked up the hardback of Dance with Dragons and wish I'd got the Nook version--that thing was a doorstop! Anyway...loved that we're back to Tyrion and Jon and others. But, I found Dany's story boring this round. I enjoyed her story previously, but felt it was a mistake to spend so much time with her stationary "growing olive trees." I understand what Martin was doing in putting her in one spot with several characters heading in her direction, but we didn't have to read about all the boring behind the scenes stuff she was up to.
Last edited by fljustice on Sun January 20th, 2013, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 17th, 2013, 11:16 am

I always find Dany boring! Although she had a good moment in SofS, which I'm really enjoying.

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Winter is still coming!

Post by Antoine Vanner » Sat January 19th, 2013, 5:02 pm

l read all the Game of Thrones series over the last year, except the final two, and I'll put off reading these for a while. I found that the series stated wonderfully, and was absolutely gripping, but steadily lost momentum with each subsequent book. I found there were too many parallel story lines, many going nowhere, and a lager number of superfluous characters. The plot keeps branching, to the extent that there was insufficient attention paid to any one plotline, and indeed many of them were weak. The only characters I found consistently interesting all the way through were Jon Snow and Tyrian. I'll perhaps try again in a year or so.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sun January 20th, 2013, 2:12 pm

A Sword of Storms is on my list to read within the next couple of months before the Series 3 starts at the end of March!

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 20th, 2013, 4:19 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]A Sword of Storms is on my list to read within the next couple of months before the Series 3 starts at the end of March![/quote]

Interesting variation of the title Vanessa - it sort of works though! ;)

I'm really enjoying it - about halfway through - apart from a tedious Dany chapter :rolleyes: it's been great.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun January 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

LOL! You spotted my deliberate mistake, Madeleine. I was just checking to make sure people were reading my posts!! ;) :D

As I was typing I was thinking that this book is split into two in the UK and was trying to think what each of them was called, couldn't remember so decided just to combine them into the one and got confused! :rolleyes: A case of my fingers not co-ordinating with my brain!!

Return to “Historical Fantasy”