Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downton Abbey Season 3

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed January 9th, 2013, 9:21 pm

[quote=""princess garnet""]I recognized the song ("Let me call you sweetheart") the guests were singing during the indoor picnic party. This same song was sung during the 3rd "Anne of Green Gables" TV movie (2000).[/quote]

Ah! I thought I had heard it before! Thanks!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 19th, 2013, 5:21 am

Still catching up on season two. Finally getting some explanations about things.

How many seasons is the series going to have?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat January 19th, 2013, 11:35 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Still catching up on season two. Finally getting some explanations about things.

How many seasons is the series going to have?[/quote]

Don't know - I think it was originally contracted for 3 seasons, which is now over, but they've signed for a fourth. I don't think they have contracted beyond that but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 19th, 2013, 1:31 pm

'Let me call you sweetheart' was a song on one of the albums my parents played. It was filled with old time music like that. Loved singing to it. 'Sidewalks of New York, I'll see you in my dreams, Yes we have no bananas, When the red red robin comes bob bobbin a long' were a few others I remember.

I heard Maggie Smith signed on for a fourth season. BTW the show started in 1912 right? So its been 8 years - why hasn't Violet aged any? For that matter, wouldn't Sybil have been about 11 at the start of the show? Oh never mind, I'm loving it even if its filled with silliness.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat January 19th, 2013, 4:22 pm

[quote=""Ash""]'Let me call you sweetheart' was a song on one of the albums my parents played. It was filled with old time music like that. Loved singing to it. 'Sidewalks of New York, I'll see you in my dreams, Yes we have no bananas, When the red red robin comes bob bobbin a long' were a few others I remember.

I heard Maggie Smith signed on for a fourth season. BTW the show started in 1912 right? So its been 8 years - why hasn't Violet aged any? For that matter, wouldn't Sybil have been about 11 at the start of the show? Oh never mind, I'm loving it even if its filled with silliness.[/quote]

According to the official companion book, Sybil was 17 in the first episode (set in 1912), putting her birth year at 1895. In a later episode set in 1920, she is stated as 24, putting her birth year at 1896. This would make sense if the first episode took place after her birthday while the later episode took place before her birthday, meaning her birth year is consistently 1895. According to the Downton Wiki, there is an episode set in 1919 when Mary tells Sybil "you're 21 now", which would make her birth year 1898 - but personally, I think this might be a misquote and perhaps Mary said something more "you're over 21 now" because otherwise, the show has been fairly consistent with her age. Even if she was born 1898, she would have been 14 at the start of the show.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 19th, 2013, 7:08 pm

We're finally getting the Downton Abbey 3 Christmas Special, only a month after Christmas, not too bad for here. Apparently, though, it has nothing to do with Christmas! Unfortunately we have visitors coming tonight so I'll have to record it and wait with some impatience until I can get to it :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat January 19th, 2013, 7:31 pm

It's set during the summer! Wasn't that well received here.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 19th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Finished season two. Now I'm finally caught up for tomorrow. Yay!
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

I wasn't able to order the DA Christmas Special because I didn't know till the last day IF we were actually moving!! I can't wait to see it and it is a MUST see, because of the spoiler involved and no I wont mention it :D . But at least now I can order it on Amazon U.K.

Bec :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 24th, 2013, 12:59 am

Posted by Bec
I wasn't able to order the DA Christmas Special because I didn't know till the last day IF we were actually moving!! I can't wait to see it and it is a MUST see, because of the spoiler involved and no I wont mention it. But at least now I can order it on Amazon U.K.
Yes, that spoiler! What can I say? Nooooooo...

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”