Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Daughter of York, by Anne Easter Smith

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed October 8th, 2008, 9:29 am

Nag, nag, nag! :D

I'll try to get to it soon!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed October 8th, 2008, 3:34 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I figured it was to tie up her romance with Caxton. He was someone I would have liked to have seen more of in the story, in his role as printer and bookseller rather than as an intermediary in Margaret's love affair and as Fortunata's love interest.[/quote]

Wasn't that romance already tied off earlier when Caxton went back to England? He even said he was going to look for a wife, and Margaret had to comfort Fortunata, so it was pretty final.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 8th, 2008, 3:39 pm

[quote=""Carla""]Wasn't that romance already tied off earlier when Caxton went back to England? He even said he was going to look for a wife, and Margaret had to comfort Fortunata, so it was pretty final.[/quote]

Guess you're right! I forgot about that. That blows my theory!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed January 2nd, 2013, 9:51 pm

I've been listening to this book at night when I go for my 2 mile walks. I know most people abhor audio-books, but it helps keep me motivated. I don't listen to the book anywhere else, so every night I've been eager to get to the next part to see what comes next.

Since I'm not overly familiar with this time period, I had no expectations. I enjoyed the story, especially learning about Richard III as a youth. He seemed far more likable than his brother George. It baffled me that time and again Margaret was all-forgiving to this spoilt man-child. I don't know if this was the real nature of their relationship or not, but it annoyed me.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 12:08 am

[quote=""Rowan""]I've been listening to this book at night when I go for my 2 mile walks. I know most people abhor audio-books, but it helps keep me motivated. I don't listen to the book anywhere else, so every night I've been eager to get to the next part to see what comes next.

Since I'm not overly familiar with this time period, I had no expectations. I enjoyed the story, especially learning about Richard III as a youth. He seemed far more likable than his brother George. It baffled me that time and again Margaret was all-forgiving to this spoilt man-child. I don't know if this was the real nature of their relationship or not, but it annoyed me.
[/quote]

I read this book several years ago and enjoyed learning about Margaret of York and especially her step daughter Mary of Burgundy. I read more about them from NF sources. Little did I know that within a year or two I would be in Bruges standing at the tombs of Mary and her father.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon January 7th, 2013, 4:37 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I didn't finish A Rose for the Crown (though I did peek to see what happened to the Princes in the Tower), but the part that I read was heavy on detail. The scene in Daughter of York where Kate makes her cameo appearance and everyone duly notes her great beauty and wonderful musicianship is a fairly restrained version of her portrayal in Crown.[/quote]

A Rose for the Crown was the only one of hers I could get into. But that was years ago so I remember very little of it. I have been disappointed with the rest of her work. I started this one but didn't finish it and i found her two most recent ones to be wallbangers.

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”