Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 3:46 pm

Our DVD player died, and we finally broke down and bought a blue ray player. Wanted something sumptuous to test it out, so I rented Phantom of the Opera. I'd recommend it to anyone who truly enjoys musicals as they used to be filmed (i.e., mostly singing and not a lot of speaking parts). The production quality and costuming are gorgeous in this one.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 5:55 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Our DVD player died, and we finally broke down and bought a blue ray player. Wanted something sumptuous to test it out, so I rented Phantom of the Opera. I'd recommend it to anyone who truly enjoys musicals as they used to be filmed (i.e., mostly singing and not a lot of speaking parts). The production quality and costuming are gorgeous in this one.[/quote]

Oh I love this film, it's so gorgeous looking and as you say, sumptuous - it opens out the stage show quite a bit so that it works as a movie, and not just a case of filming a performance of the musical - lovely! :D A wallow with a box of chocolates film if ever there was one - and Gerard Butler is great as the Phantom!

Hunter
Scribbler

Post by Hunter » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 6:49 pm

Re: British comedies, the Jeeves and Woosters series is my all-time favorite, followed by A Bit of Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, and Bottom.

Over the weekend, we re-watched The Incredible Hulk (really liked it), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (fun, despite being too-over-the-top in spots), and Sleeping Beauty (the new release of the Disney classic).

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon November 3rd, 2008, 7:43 pm

We rented The Love Guru. It's mad.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue November 4th, 2008, 4:45 am

We rented a two-disc BBC production of Ivanhoe made in 1997. It's excellent!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 4th, 2008, 10:03 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]We rented a two-disc BBC production of Ivanhoe made in 1997. It's excellent![/quote]

I saw that in the original CW, and I enjoyed it. Particularly liked Chiaran Hinds as Brian de Boise Gilbert. When it appeared on UK TV, Angela Levin of the Daily Mail enthused about it, saying 'Forget Mr Darcy's wet shirt, it's much more fun to lust after a man in chain mail.' I've made a lot of mileage out of that one!
My re-enactment society Regia Anglorum provided some of the extras and turned up to filming with their authentic costumes. The BBC immediately took them away and replaced them with their own version of what peasants wore. Regia members were not happy bunnies.
I think I may just have to rewatch this one. Thanks for the reminder!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue November 4th, 2008, 10:24 am

Amadeus on DVD.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue November 4th, 2008, 12:13 pm

[quote=""Hunter""]Re: British comedies, the Jeeves and Woosters series is my all-time favorite, followed by A Bit of Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, and Bottom.

Over the weekend, we re-watched The Incredible Hulk (really liked it), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (fun, despite being too-over-the-top in spots), and Sleeping Beauty (the new release of the Disney classic).[/quote]

I've just been rewatching Jeeves & Wooster and Fry and Laurie on youtube. I've been a Plum fan since age 9 or so.

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:51 am

Burn after Reading. This movie was the biggest waste of my time ever! I could have read half a book in that time and I can guarantee you, I would have enjoyed myself a hell of a lot more.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:31 pm

I love classic films....Last night I watched "Rembrandt" Charles Laughton was brilliant as the artist....Have always admired his works...Makes me want to do research on Rembrandt's life and the life influences that motivated this bankrupt Dutch artist and his perceptions......

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”