Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Hobbit

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

The Hobbit

Post by Nefret » Fri December 14th, 2012, 7:14 pm

As it opens today, I thought it was time for a separate thread.

Riddles in the Dark turned out great, I really liked that scene. I thought the movie was really good.
Last edited by Nefret on Sun December 16th, 2012, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon December 17th, 2012, 12:44 am

I want to see it. My mom got me addicted to LOTR :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 17th, 2012, 12:49 am

I want to see it too, and I know my husband would like to. Our oldest is a Tolkien fan so I was talking to my Dad today about the idea of taking him to see it. Never sure how he'll react. It's rather long for him and he doesn't go to the theater much (quite frankly neither do we). I think he could take the noise reduction headphones in case it's too loud. Suggested my Dad, my husband, and my son could go together. Make it a bonding thing. :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 17th, 2012, 1:59 am

I was disappointed/bored. Jackson had license to make three movies out of a very slim book, and he stuffed it with so many extraneous bits from the appendixes (no doubt fun for LOTR fanatics) that he forgot to keep the story coherent. It wasn't 'There and Back Again' -- it was 'Here, There, and All Over the Place, and Now, Then, and Also What Will Be.'

My husband and son went with me (the DIL having declined) and they both liked it. But why wouldn't they? Fight, special effect, fight some more, special effects, and yet more fighting, special effects, some pyrotechnics, and the wonderful Andy Serkis as the wonderful Gollum. The only part I thought improved on the book.

My, I'm turning into a crabby old crone! ;)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon December 17th, 2012, 8:19 am

I think the next part will be better. I'm looking forward to seeing Smaug.

Perhaps I need to see it again. I was taking notes, and probably missed things.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 17th, 2012, 10:11 am

[quote=""MLE""]I was disappointed/bored. Jackson had license to make three movies out of a very slim book, and he stuffed it with so many extraneous bits from the appendixes (no doubt fun for LOTR fanatics) that he forgot to keep the story coherent. It wasn't 'There and Back Again' -- it was 'Here, There, and All Over the Place, and Now, Then, and Also What Will Be.'

My husband and son went with me (the DIL having declined) and they both liked it. But why wouldn't they? Fight, special effect, fight some more, special effects, and yet more fighting, special effects, some pyrotechnics, and the wonderful Andy Serkis as the wonderful Gollum. The only part I thought improved on the book.

My, I'm turning into a crabby old crone! ;) [/quote]

I haven't seen it yet, but most of the reviews I've read say pretty much the same as you - it has good bits; the scenery, acting, battle scenes - but lots of boring bits in-between.

Personally I think one film would have been enough, maybe get away with two at a pinch - but 3 is plain greedy :( :rolleyes: .
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon December 17th, 2012, 10:29 am

I'm going to see it with my girlfriend on Thursday. It's a tradition with us where the Tolkien films are concerned. We've been together to see all 3 LOTR films, so we have to see the Hobbit at the cinema together. I suspect even without the comments from folks who have already seen it that it's going to ramble in places. Having read the book, I think 2 films would have been very ample.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Even without seeing it I think two would have been enough. There is an awful lot in that one little book. But three is really stretching it!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Tue December 18th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Those were my thoughts too, LH. Two movies should have enough.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”