Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat June 16th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Apparently it was an inside joke - and its not actually Bush's head, just looks like it. The producers were being interviewed for the DVD and happened to mention it, and it went viral from there. I can't believe how stupid of them to even admit that this happened. They have a very popular series, and may have just cut off their own heads by admiting to this. They didn't think this little anthill would turn into a volcano when it came out? HBO and the producers of the show are now backtracking and taking that image off their DVDs and series. Really I just can't believe how stupid they were, and now that its gone viral, people are going to be even stupider. Half of their viewers are pissed as hell, and might not care to watch the series anymore. I only hope that this will all blow over by February, because if this causes the show to be canceled I am going to be very put out.

I have friends who think this is all just a fine thing to do and anyone who disagrees is suddenly an apologist for Bush. Can't people look at something and see implications of their actions? This is more than just a funny ha ha look what we did to him. It was veiled threat to the ex pres, and no matter how you feel about the man and his policies, not appropriate, anymore than the candidate running against Gabby Gifford offered people a gun to use to shoot a target of her picture.

ETA, just saw this quote from the producers, apologizing and trying to explain
:
"What happened was this: We use a lot of prosthetic body parts on the show: heads, arms, etc. We can't afford to have these all made from scratch, especially in scenes where we need a lot of them, so we rent them in bulk. After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush. In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have. We meant no disrespect to the former president and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."
Last edited by Ash on Sat June 16th, 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun June 17th, 2012, 8:57 am

[quote=""Ash""]Apparently it was an inside joke - and its not actually Bush's head, just looks like it. The producers were being interviewed for the DVD and happened to mention it, and it went viral from there. I can't believe how stupid of them to even admit that this happened. They have a very popular series, and may have just cut off their own heads by admiting to this. They didn't think this little anthill would turn into a volcano when it came out? HBO and the producers of the show are now backtracking and taking that image off their DVDs and series. Really I just can't believe how stupid they were, and now that its gone viral, people are going to be even stupider. Half of their viewers are pissed as hell, and might not care to watch the series anymore. I only hope that this will all blow over by February, because if this causes the show to be canceled I am going to be very put out.

I have friends who think this is all just a fine thing to do and anyone who disagrees is suddenly an apologist for Bush. Can't people look at something and see implications of their actions? This is more than just a funny ha ha look what we did to him. It was veiled threat to the ex pres, and no matter how you feel about the man and his policies, not appropriate, anymore than the candidate running against Gabby Gifford offered people a gun to use to shoot a target of her picture.

ETA, just saw this quote from the producers, apologizing and trying to explain
:
"What happened was this: We use a lot of prosthetic body parts on the show: heads, arms, etc. We can't afford to have these all made from scratch, especially in scenes where we need a lot of them, so we rent them in bulk. After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush. In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have. We meant no disrespect to the former president and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."[/quote]

Hi Ash :)
I think I missed something in translation? We are trying to sell our house and so I haven't been online for days now.

What went viral? And I am not sure what George W Bush has to do with Game of Thrones?....Whatever it is I hope they won't cancel the show.I have to admit when it comes to bloody scenes I close my eyes.

I watched that part Madeleine and agree they are spooky. During the scene I sat in my chair yelling...'Run Sam runnnnnn.....'I can't wait to buy the DVD of the second season.

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 17th, 2012, 9:49 am

Sorry but it seems an over-reaction to me. It's been made an issue of and now it's been brought to everyone's attention - people will be looking back at any recordings they've made to see if they can see a resemblance. If it hadn't been made an issue of, it would've been forgotten about. It seems to have been blown up out of all proportion.
Last edited by Vanessa on Sun June 17th, 2012, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 17th, 2012, 11:37 am

I totally agree with Vanessa - if something similar happened in the UK, everyone would have a good laugh about it and then forget about it. The show Spitting Image used to do that sort of thing all the time, and was very popular, even if it did cause controversy - most people got the joke. They need to move on and quickly; it was silly and they've apologised, enough said.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 18th, 2012, 9:29 am

Watched an interview with George RRM yesterday, which was shown after the last ep of GofT. He said that people complain to him about the sex scenes in the books - even to the point of refusing to read them - but not about the violence. Even he seemed a bit bemused by that. Interesting programme, he said that Tyrion was his favourite character. And he knows how it will all end!

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon June 18th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I agree with Vanessa and Madeliene and think this has been completely blown out of proportion. I don't think it was a threat of any kind, it just was what it was. No different than the whole "munchkin hanging in Wizard of Oz" (that turned out to be a bird) or the Disney "sex images" in their covers and movies. People see what they want to see to either get famous or make a big deal out of something. They obviously have nothing better to do.
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon June 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""] And he knows how it will all end![/quote]

Gawd I hope so - finish the dang books already!
Last edited by Ash on Mon June 18th, 2012, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue June 19th, 2012, 1:46 am

I just wish George Martin would get on and finish the next book! And why does he allow himself to 'wander off course with weirdo characters' and then he has to back track and either make more of these characters or exit them? Just stick with the characters already there(there's enough of them!)and get to the end of the dang story! This is where he makes hard work for himself when I think there is enough to simply wind them down and come to an ending.

I will be looking forward to GOT season 3, but a whole year :( to wait grrr lol.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu December 6th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Just seen DVD release date on Amazon for the UK is 4th March 2013.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri December 7th, 2012, 12:38 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Just seen DVD release date on Amazon for the UK is 4th March 2013.[/quote]

I saw it too and I am bemused as to why the producers continually miss the Christmas season? It seems insane to me....But I'll buy it once it is released in Australia on DVD and then comes Season 3 and after that we will have to wait yet another year before they release that one too on DVD :rolleyes: It really doesn't make sense to me! :confused:

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”