Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthurian Literature

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed November 21st, 2012, 6:07 am

So far I've read the Avalon series, Nancy McKenzie's novels, and a few others. Since I need to read more I've decided to read Helen Hollick's series, and maybe the one by Stephen Lawhead (I've only read the first book).
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 1:03 am

You might like to give Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset a try - review here. Sutcliff was one of the first authors to imagine Arthur as the Dark Age Romano-British warlord he might have been. There are minimal fantasy elements, although, despite its realism, the novel draws strongly on Celtic mythological tradition.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 7:39 am

Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

I'm also reading Bernard Cornwell's series soon. It's been many years since I read the first book, so it might seem different now.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

Do give Jack Whyte's Camulod series a try because it is absolutely amazing! Mary Stewart's quartet is also very well done.
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

Has anyone read Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle? I liked the first book, have not read the whole series.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Cuchulain
Scribbler

Post by Cuchulain » Tue April 30th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned The Enchantresses and The Three Damosels by Vera Chapman

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enchantresses-V ... es+chapman

michaelbolan
Currently reading: The Grotto's Secret by Paula Wynne
Interest in HF: History got screwed up for me in school, so I dropped the subject as soon as I could. It was only when I was older that I realised it wasn't history that was the issue, it was history teachers... Now I'm just trying to get caught up on what I've missed over the last two millennia.
Favourite HF book: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Preferred HF: Many: classical civilisations (the Graeco-Roman era), the Dark Ages (northern Europe) and of course, post-Renaissance Early Modern Age - the time of discovery.

Re: Arthurian Literature

Post by michaelbolan » Tue October 18th, 2016, 10:49 am

Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle is fantastic. He manages to balance great stories with a compelling overall framework, all the while delving into the psyche of the individual characters. Beautiful writing.

He also introduced me to many of the characters, themes and stories from the mythology/ literature of the period, so I owe him one.

strath
Scribbler
Interest in HF: The very first 'adult' level book was HF. Loved the detail and the characters. Never looked back.
Favourite HF book: War and Peace
Preferred HF: Dark Age Britain, American Civil War, Napoleonic Era, Jazz Age, WWII

Post by strath » Wed February 8th, 2017, 3:21 am

Am finishing the last of Helen Hollick's "The Pendragon's Banner Trilogy." I thought it a good twist on the old cycle. If you have a chance, check it out. :!:

strath
Scribbler
Interest in HF: The very first 'adult' level book was HF. Loved the detail and the characters. Never looked back.
Favourite HF book: War and Peace
Preferred HF: Dark Age Britain, American Civil War, Napoleonic Era, Jazz Age, WWII

Re:

Post by strath » Wed February 8th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Nefret wrote:So far I've read the Avalon series, Nancy McKenzie's novels, and a few others. Since I need to read more I've decided to read Helen Hollick's series, and maybe the one by Stephen Lawhead (I've only read the first book).
I am about 2/3s through Hollick's trilogy. It's pretty good. I enjoyed her 5th C. spin & leaving out the later, more Medieval glitter.

flicka
Scribbler
Currently reading: Testament
Interest in HF: I've been obsessed by history all my life and in particular with the Dark Ages and whatever reality there might be pertaining to King Arthur. I also like the Roman occupation period.
Favourite HF book: Wolf Hall
Preferred HF: Dark Ages
Medieval
Roman

Post by flicka » Sat July 13th, 2019, 8:21 am

I tend to stick to books about whether Arthurian legend and myth could be true or not - scholars who delve into the stories and try to find the history behind them. I find that quite fascinating, probably because I'm Aspergers and this is my obsession. That and horses. Of course, in historical fiction you can combine the two - history and horses - in one book. Perfect for me.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”