Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2013 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 10:20 am

I like the sound of Tyringham Park! And the Jennifer Roberson ones.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 11:05 am

Looks like the Roberson books are being re-issued in the UK at the same time.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 12:34 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Looks like the Roberson books are being re-issued in the UK at the same time.[/quote]

I hope they have the same covers as Tanzanite posted here, those are pretty (Amazon UK isn't showing any cover images for them yet).

Also nooooooo, not another Brandy Purdey novel...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 12:38 pm

I looked on Amazon too for the new covers; some of the old ones are worth a look though!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 2:38 pm

Boy by the looks of things, 2013 will be a great year for HF. Cautiously optimistic after a dismal 2012.
Brenna

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 9:00 pm

[quote=""emr""]The Ill-Made Knight by Christian Cameron

Publication Date: 23 May 2013

An action-packed tale of chivalry and betrayal set during the Hundred Years War.

William Gold comes into the world as his family slides down the social ladder. His head filled with tales of chivalry, instead he is branded a thief, and must make do with being squire to his childhood friend Sir Robert, a knight determined to make a name for himself as a man at arms in France. While William himself slowly acquires the skills of knightly combat, he remains an outsider - until the Battle of Poitiers when Sir Robert is cut down by the greatest knight of the age, Sir Geoffry de Charny, and William, his lowly squire, revenges him. But with his own knight dead, no honour acrrues to William for this feat of arms, and he is forced to become a mercenary. Scavenging a mis-matched set of armour from the knightly corpses, he joins one of the mercenary companies now set to pillage a defenceless France, and so begins a bloody career that sees William joining forces with the infamous Sir John Hawkwood and immersing himself in a treacherous clandestine war among the Italian city states. But paradoxically it is there, among the spies, assassins and hired killers serving their ruthless masters, that William finally discovers the true meaning of chivalry - and his destiny as a knight.

And 2013 is still young... :D [/quote]

...and we got a cover :)
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 9:09 pm

Oooh, must ask for that from the library.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 11:11 pm

Looking forward to Chris Cameron's Ill-Made Knight, which was inspired by the adventures of English mercenary captain Sir John Hawkwood and his White Company. I'm betting it will be a bit different from Conan Doyle's White Company :)

Having a great taste of Cameron's medieval knights right now in The Red Knight. Although it's fantasy, these guys are straight out of the 100 Years War and I reckon they jumped ship from Bernard Cornwell's 1356!
Last edited by annis on Tue December 4th, 2012, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon December 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm

[quote=""Lady of Bennachie""]I hope they have the same covers as Tanzanite posted here, those are pretty (Amazon UK isn't showing any cover images for them yet). [/quote]

According to the information I saw from the publisher, they are being repackaged to appeal more to historical fiction tastes rather than the romance category (or something along those lines)

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu December 6th, 2012, 7:13 pm

The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #9) by Colin Cotterill 31 Jan 2013

In a small Lao village, a very strange thing has happened. A woman was shot and killed in her bed during a burglary; she was given a funeral and everyone in the village saw her body burned. Then, three days later, she was back in her house as if she'd never been dead at all. But now she's clairvoyant, and can speak to the dead. That's why the long-dead brother of a Lao general has enlisted her to help his brother uncover his remains, which have been lost at the bottom of a river for many years.

Lao national coroner Dr. Siri Paiboun and his wife, Madame Daeng, are sent along to supervise the excavation. It could be a kind of relaxing vacation for them, maybe, except Siri is obsessed with the pretty undead medium's special abilities, and Madame Daeng might be a little jealous. She doesn't trust the woman for some reason─is her hunch right? What is the group really digging for at the bottom of this remote river on the Thai border? What war secrets are being covered up?
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Return to “General Discussion”