Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downton Abbey Season 3

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon October 15th, 2012, 11:26 pm

potential spoiler below: (sorry - don't know how to do the thing where you can hide the text)

I had read somewhere before the season started that it would happen to someone but I didn't expect that - I was bawling my eyes out!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 16th, 2012, 9:15 am

But I'm sure I've seen something prior to the episode, perhaps on Facebook.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

New soundtrack

Post by princess garnet » Sun October 21st, 2012, 6:27 pm

I saw on Amazon there's a new soundtrack out next month. Some of the tracks are on the 1st one while others are new for this album.
I own the first soundtrack and plan to get this one!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue November 20th, 2012, 1:05 am

I have finished watching DA S 3 and I cannot put my finger on it, but I found this series a bit of a let down and at times downright boring. I had to fast forward the whole grim faced Bates prowling around his cell and walking in circles outside and I like the character!

The middle was a surprise and yes, I had my tissues at the ready...That was totally unexpected. I also found Matthew's long faced, tearing his hair out principled position annoying! If I had been Lady Mary I'd have hit him with my Tiara!!! :p

After all the build up I found the very short appearance of Shirley MacLaine, disappointing and wondered why the producers bothered bringing her in? She added nothing to the story.

The only part that really got my interest was the war downstairs between O'brien and Thomas, as the snakes turned on each other. I'll be tuning into Season 4(if there is one?) just to watch those two duke it out! I do love my villains! :p

Am I the only one that found it disappointing? :confused:

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue November 20th, 2012, 9:40 am

I never liked the Bates in jail scenes but overall, I didn't have a problem with the season. The Dowager had some brilliant quotes, as ever.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 20th, 2012, 10:14 am

The Dowager's always priceless! I agree the Bates in jail stuff got a bit boring, and the bit with the cousin did feel a bit rushed and pointless, but apparently she'll be back,so I suppose it was a way of introducing her.

I must admit I went off Matthew, and found him rather drippy and irritating!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 20th, 2012, 10:42 am

Yes, O'Brien was quite nasty really and I also felt sorry for Thomas.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Tue November 20th, 2012, 4:05 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]
I must admit I went off Matthew, and found him rather drippy and irritating![/quote]

With the money issue, yes. But later on,
Last edited by Mythica on Tue November 20th, 2012, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue November 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Incidentally, a Spanish TV drama series, billed here as "the Spanish Downton Abbey", started this week in the UK (on Sky Arts for those here who have Sky).

"Grand Hotel" (or 'Gran Hotel' in its original title) was a big hit in Spain last year apparently. It is set in a luxury Spanish hotel in 1905. The first episode has aired but I haven't got round to viewing it yet. Looking forward to sampling it. Will report back!

Hope it's more enjoyable than the frankly weird French import "Maison Close", set in an 1870s Paris brothel, which was broadcast here recently.

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Tue November 20th, 2012, 9:58 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Incidentally, a Spanish TV drama series, billed here as "the Spanish Downton Abbey", started this week in the UK (on Sky Arts for those here who have Sky).

"Grand Hotel" (or 'Gran Hotel' in its original title) was a big hit in Spain last year apparently. It is set in a luxury Spanish hotel in 1905. The first episode has aired but I haven't got round to viewing it yet. Looking forward to sampling it. Will report back!

Hope it's more enjoyable than the frankly weird French import "Maison Close", set in an 1870s Paris brothel, which was broadcast here recently.[/quote]

Oooo, I'll have to check that out. I've been watching The Paradise which was supposedly the BBC's answer to Downton - it's entertaining but I'm not passionate about it.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”