Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

MrsMorland
Reader

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Post by MrsMorland » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:22 pm

Well, since I am obviously a fan of the Morland Dynasty I figured I should start a thread.
http://www.cynthiaharrodeagles.com/morland1.htm

Book 31 of the series has just been released and I am so excited. Book 1 is set at the beginning of the Wars of the Roses, and book 31 is at year 3 of WWI. At the beginning of the series there are gaps in time between books, but after the first few they are pretty continuous, with a Morland involved in just about every major historical event you can think of. There are members who emigrate to America and so you get a little bit of American history too. They are so incredibly well written, well researched and interesting. There have been a few that I found to be a little less interesting than others, mainly because of the time period. I have to say, so far I enjoyed the ones set in the Napoleonic wars era and the current ones set during WWI.
For a Historical fiction fan, especially a fan of British History, I think these are not to be missed. And I have read the series all the way through with no burn-out, since the setting, time, and characters are frequently changing.
And man, there are some great characters!
So come on fellow Morland fans, where are you?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat November 1st, 2008, 10:54 pm

Here! :D

My favourite female characters are Nanette, Annunciator (although quite a few people aren't keen on Annunciator) and Jemima. My favorite male character is Danby Wiske, but I also like James and Weston.

I've read up to book no: 16, The Devil's Horse. I think it's an excellent series and always look forward to reading the next book. I shall be so sad when it finally finishes. I believe CHE has been commissioned to write 35, but perhaps they will want her to write more once she has reached no: 35 and hopefully bring the series to the present day.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 12:43 am

My favourites are Eleanor, Nanette, Ruth and Annunciata that I recall. My love-to-hate character was India - so memorable.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 2:14 am

I hated Fanny, James' daughter. grrr... I really loved Lucy,Weston, Teddy and Jessie, but I don't know if anyone has gotten as far as Teddy and Jessie yet.

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Morland Dynasty

Post by Anita Davison » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 10:23 am

My hand's waving too, I'm a great fan and have read them all too. It was the 'Dynasty' series which prompted me to write my first book.

My favourites are 'the Black Pearl' and 'The Long Shadow' which cover the 17th century.

I like to think my style is similar, but my heroine is a Protestant, so joined the Monmouth Rebellion on the opposite side to Annunciata Moreland's son Hugo.[He fought with John Churchill]

In fact when my book was released, I e-mailed CHE and thanked her for her inspiration. She wrote back saying sorry for the delay as she was writing the latest in the series She said how thrilled she was for me and that she admired anyone who comits themselves to a book and finishes it, whether they get it published or not. Such a nice lady.

Anita
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Thu November 6th, 2008, 12:06 am

Well, I have ordered the newest book which is #31. I am so excited I can barely stand it! :D

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu November 6th, 2008, 8:26 am

I've just had an email from Amazon to say my paperback copy of The Measure of Days has been despatched, which is book no: 30. My collection is in paperback. So I shall have to wait another year for The Foreign Fields and I supposed by then CHE will have written book no: 32!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu November 6th, 2008, 9:32 am

In contrast, I have just picked up the first book in the series from the library!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Thu November 6th, 2008, 1:55 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]In contrast, I have just picked up the first book in the series from the library![/quote]

oh, I hope you love it! You will, I know it. ;)

Vanessa, I have up until book 25 or so in paperback, then for a few years my husband would get me the newest one for Christmas since they are released every November. Lately though I'm so impatient I've been ordering them right away. I think it's because we've been with the same characters and it's war time.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu December 18th, 2008, 12:11 am

I'm interested in reading the series (or at least starting!). What's the order to the books? Does it matter where you begin, or can you jump around?

Return to “By Author”