Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu November 1st, 2012, 11:18 pm

Will anyone judge me if I say I've been watching RuPaul's Drag Race? It's loud and cheesy, harms nobody, and features crazy makeup jobs. Since I gave up on America's Next Top Model, Ru and the queens fill an entertainment void for me! :D
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu November 1st, 2012, 11:31 pm

Tonight I'm going to watch a few more hours of a Korean historical drama, Chuno (the slave hunters), which along with a heartbreaking romance, has some serious beefcake -- with brains, thank you -- running around on the screen. You can find it on Netflix.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 1:25 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Yes I did see it :)

After all the hype, I expected Shirley to be in the show for longer than she actually was, ah well.

There's a Christmas special this year too.

I'm also looking forward to GoT S3 ;) [/quote]

Oh thanks Madeleine I'll have to keep a look out for the Christmas special 2012. What a shame that Shirley's appearance is so short, but I hope that perhaps Cora will have a little more...bite to her. I find that her character is rather undefined in both seasons.

When it comes to GOT S3 I will have to do a re-read and this time NOT skim the chapters as I did the first time round. Does anyone have any idea when GOT season 2 will be released on DVD? It seems utter madness that the producers skip the Christmas buys. It seems to be madness-marketing wise..ah well the powers that be :rolleyes: .

I will be watching Argo when it's released on DVD. Is it really based on true events or has Hollywood run wild with the script?

Bec :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 6:10 pm

"Based on" being the license that it is, only research can tell. At least it's not as insanely loose a criterion as "inspired by" ... !

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun November 4th, 2012, 3:31 am

Watched Post Grad. It was a nice little film with a great cast. Carol Burnett had the best line in the whole thing.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun November 4th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Watched Snow White and the Huntsman and Mirror, Mirror on different nights, but for the contrast. Liked the former, found the latter silly, but both (along with the TV show Once Upon a Time) have the updated Snow White who owes more to Xena, Warrior Princess than to the Grimm brothers. I'm happy that "the princess" has a more active role than waiting for her prince in modern fairy tale retelling, just pointing out that they are "inspired by" rather than "based on."

Also watched a sweet and quirky movie From Time to Time a time slip story with Maggie Smith as the matriarch of a "strange old house." It's the end of WWII and her grandson comes to visit after his father goes MIA. As the household deals with the war and their fears for their loved ones, the grandson learns about his ancestors and finds himself mysteriously transported back in time.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 4th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Given that Affleck worked closely with the actual people involved in the incident, I'd assume much of it is real. I do know however that the final chase scene is Hollywood, but they apparently get much right. There is criticism that it doesn't give the Canadians enough credit. I disagree - I thought it well showed the bravery and compassion that the Canadian embassy showed their 'guests'. But thats just me. Its a good movie

Saw Cloud Atlas and need to reread the book. It was an ok adaptation, but there was much that was wrong.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon November 5th, 2012, 12:33 am

[quote=""Ash""]Given that Affleck worked closely with the actual people involved in the incident, I'd assume much of it is real. I do know however that the final chase scene is Hollywood, but they apparently get much right. There is criticism that it doesn't give the Canadians enough credit. I disagree - I thought it well showed the bravery and compassion that the Canadian embassy showed their 'guests'. But thats just me. Its a good movie

Saw Cloud Atlas and need to reread the book. It was an ok adaptation, but there was much that was wrong.[/quote]

I'll be keeping an eye out for Argo and will also rent out Once Upon a Time...I love all this fairy tale stuff with bite :D ...But I don't fancy Mirror Mirror. I will also get Snow White and the Huntsmen and watch it soon. Right now I am working my way through the Vampire Diaries Season 3.

Bec :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon November 5th, 2012, 3:05 pm

rebecca, if you like edgy fairy tales, you might enjoy Catherine Breillat's "Bluebeard" - it's not typical of a lot of her work in being completely outre' (she's known for damn near brutal filmmaking, emotionally and physically), but it does focus on themes she's explored before (coming of age, relationships, death). The production itself is fairly straight-faced, with a very nice frame story featuring a tiny little stunner of an actress who impressed me very much. Available on Netflix streaming, it might be worth a watch; I watched it in my lead-up to Hallowe'en, just a week or so ago. :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon November 5th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Saw The Sessions yesterday with John Hawkes and Helen Hunt. Lovely little movie with pathos and humor.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”