Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon October 22nd, 2012, 6:07 pm

Took today off after three days of conferences, and am re-watching "Chaplin" on Netflix. It's engaging, but RDJ's accent was as bad then as it is now in the role of Sherlock, and I'm a little embarrassed as an American. :)

Not sure if I posted about seeing "Wild Target" recently - madcap British romp with Bill Nighy and Ruperts Everett and Grint. Great deal of fun, that one.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon October 22nd, 2012, 7:01 pm

Argo about the real life rescue of six American diplomats during the Iranian hostage crises of 1979. I'm not sure if the suspenseful bits at the end were Hollywoodisms or really happened, but it's an excellent movie.

Watched the DVD of John Carter of Mars last night and liked it. I know it got panned in the theaters, but I don't know why.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue October 23rd, 2012, 9:03 am

Saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower at the weekend. It was an outing of one of my book groups that had discussed the novel the movie is based on a few months ago.

Everyone enjoyed the film and thought it was a good adaptation of the book. In fact, many enjoyed it more than the book. I personally had problems with two of the three main actors (Ezra Miller and Emma Watson). They're weren't terrible by any means, but I could never forget for an instant that they were acting, whereas the other lead actor, Logan Lerman, was superb. A good movie, and if you've read the book and enjoyed it, I don't think you'll be disappointed by it.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 23rd, 2012, 12:22 pm

Finished the last disc of Lark Rise to Candleford. Sad that it's over.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu October 25th, 2012, 12:50 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Finished the last disc of Lark Rise to Candleford. Sad that it's over.[/quote]

I felt the same. It was such a lovely show and a great cast. I was disappointed though that Brendan Coyle was no where to be seen in the last episode....I suppose he was busy working on Downtown?

But I have ordered Downtown Abbey S 3 Which will arrive in the middle of November :D .

Bec :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu October 25th, 2012, 8:11 am

The Masque of the Red Death
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu October 25th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence with Nicolas Cage. Liked the first one, but thought this one was "meh." Nick is just too old for this role.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu October 25th, 2012, 6:29 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]I felt the same. It was such a lovely show and a great cast. I was disappointed though that Brendan Coyle was no where to be seen in the last episode....I suppose he was busy working on Downtown?

But I have ordered Downtown Abbey S 3 Which will arrive in the middle of November :D .

Bec :) [/quote]

Wait, I thought you were like the rest of us and had to wait until January???
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon October 29th, 2012, 4:01 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Wait, I thought you were like the rest of us and had to wait until January???[/quote]

I bought Downtown via Amazon U.K. on pre-order. The email stated it will arrive in the middle of November(fingers crossed). The third season here probaby wont go to air until sometime in 2013(I can't wait that long :p ).

But Merlin S 5 is now showing on our TV screens. I watched the first two episodes and now will wait for the DVD to be released here and buy the box set. I love that show! But I do wish that Arthur will soon realise that Merlin uses magic and get past the whole juvenile thing where Merlin always has to play the fool!

If you have a multi-regional DVD player you should also be able to watch Downtown via Amazon UK?

Bec :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon October 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Watched The Avengers with the kids. They got a good laugh out of a certain confrontation between the Hulk and Loki. Youngest daughter has already watched it two or three times.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”