Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue October 9th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Friends With Kids. Really liked some elements of it. Others were meh. Not as funny as I'd thought it would be.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri October 12th, 2012, 1:15 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]One of my favorite actors. Have you seen her in the quirky little film Sliding Doors? (With John Hannah, better known to US audiences from the Mummy movies.) The movie has two parallel story lines where Paltrow plays a young woman whose life takes two very different paths based on whether she catches a train or not. Intriguing.[/quote]

That was my first experience with a Paltrow movie and have followed her ever since I also think its one of my favorite time slip movie. The ending is quite satisfying. While I liked this one very much, I do think her turn in Shakespeare in Love absolutely fantastic.

The Perks of Being a Wildflower is as good as the previews make it out to be! I thought I had my fill of teen angst movies like Breakfast Club and 16 Candles. But this one hits being a misfit in HS to a T. Id never read the book, so I don't know how close of an adaptation it is, but since the screenplay was written by the author, I'd assume its close.
Last edited by Ash on Fri October 12th, 2012, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat October 13th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Hubby and I watched the American version of The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. Raunch fest that was unneccessary to the story, IMHO.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun October 14th, 2012, 3:56 pm

[quote=""Ash""]The Perks of Being a Wildflower is as good as the previews make it out to be! I thought I had my fill of teen angst movies like Breakfast Club and 16 Candles. But this one hits being a misfit in HS to a T. Id never read the book, so I don't know how close of an adaptation it is, but since the screenplay was written by the author, I'd assume its close.[/quote]

Saw this Friday and really liked it. My only peeve is the main actor does NOT look like a (high school) freshman boy; a problem with most movies/TV shows where you have twentysomethings playing teens (anyone watch Glee?) They can carry it off (sometimes) for juniors and seniors for a couple of years, but it's hard to find a mature male that can play a physically immature boy. But the actor was appealing and vulnerable and I just pretended he was older in the story.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon October 15th, 2012, 6:23 pm

My Fake Fiance. Cute little movie.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu October 18th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Take Me Out To The Ball Game. Not bad, but not going to make my top ten musicals list, or even my top twenty.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri October 19th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Red Tails. I wanted to like this one--true story, WWII dog fights, overcoming personal adversity--but I found it dull. Lucas took a compelling moment in history and blew it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat October 20th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Everybody's Fine. Quite a good film. Nice to see DeNiro play a simple, everyday guy. He did very well with it.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun October 21st, 2012, 2:13 am

Just finished watching one of my old favorites, The Big Country, with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives and Chuck Heston. Still lives up to old memories. Love this movie. They just don't make them like this anymore.

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Post by Antoine Vanner » Sun October 21st, 2012, 11:18 am

Try the excellent and visually-stunning recent Russian movie "The Admiral" about Admiral Kolchak. It's the first movie I've seen about the Russian Revolution and Civil War that's told from the White viewpoint. The opening sequence is one of the most exciting I've ever seen and so are many of the battle scenes. The movie also deals with Kolchak's relationship with his mistress, who lived on long enough, and survived the Gulag, to appear in Bordarchuk's definitive movie of "War and Peace" - as is covered in "The Admiral". It's available on DVD.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”