Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Proof positive Klausner is selling her review copies?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Proof positive Klausner is selling her review copies?

Post by Misfit » Thu October 11th, 2012, 1:47 am

Nice detective work, curious to see where this all goes.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu October 11th, 2012, 2:42 am

Wow, someone had a lot of time on their hands, impressive.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu October 11th, 2012, 9:50 am

Nice work there - very suspicious indeed! Thanks, Misfit.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Thu October 11th, 2012, 11:38 am

Has anyone worked out how much she makes on average per month selling review books? Working on an average of $1.75 per book (worked out from her son Eric's prices on half.com), and presuming she 'reviews' 4 books a day, that comes out at $7 a day or $210 a month. A nice little sum but not exactly a road to riches. Why then does she do it?
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 11th, 2012, 11:49 am

[quote=""Justin Swanton""]Has anyone worked out how much she makes on average per month selling review books? Working on an average of $1.75 per book (worked out from her son Eric's prices on half.com), and presuming she 'reviews' 4 books a day, that comes out at $7 a day or $210 a month. A nice little sum but not exactly a road to riches. Why then does she do it?[/quote]

No one really knows the answer. Is she a little old crackpot churning them for the glory? Hard to believe now she's lost the #1 reviewer rank and unlikely to ever get it back. Considering she's such a laughing stock, you'd wonder why her husband/son lets her continue with it.

I do know there's a Klausner listed on Midwest Book Review's website as one of their reviewers, and somewhere in internet land there's an interview with MWBR's owner admitting she's one of their reviewers. I'm too lazy to google and find it.

There are lots of theories out there in Amazonland. No matter that she is (or was) a real person/real reviewer at the start, but I believe they are farmed out overseas. There are just too many of them, and the English and grammar are too garbled for someone born, raised and edjumacated in the US. We don't say "peninsular" we say "peninsula" unless we are talking about the peninsular wars.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu October 11th, 2012, 3:13 pm

[quote=""Justin Swanton""]Why then does she do it?[/quote]
People tend to start down a road, and then they get obsessive. If they don't have forces to apply balance in their lives, it can go beyond reason. Like Imelda Marcos and her shoes (anybody remember that?) or people who start with a kitty and end up with 87 feral cats they cannot take proper care of.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 11th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Brilliant bit of detective work! I suspect Harriet gets some sort of personal validation from seeing her name in print, and the sales are just a nice sideline, though the other question might be- does Harriet also get paid by any publishing agencies for writing her spurious reviews?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri October 12th, 2012, 2:09 am

Amazing that she uses her real name and has given out so many personal details.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 16th, 2012, 4:13 pm

To be so obsessed about someone is just creepy. Why this woman would spend all that time trying to find this out is beyond me. Hey, put your unused hours to good work and how about volunteering.

Good god.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue October 16th, 2012, 7:13 pm

[quote=""Divia""]To be so obsessed about someone is just creepy. Why this woman would spend all that time trying to find this out is beyond me. Hey, put your unused hours to good work and how about volunteering.

Good god.[/quote]

I agree creating an entire blog about her is obsessive. But I am glad someone went to the trouble to find out more about what's going on. Many people were already suspicious that Harriet is a fraud, sockpuppet or malicious in some way. Personally, I think either her reviews are fake or she farms them to others to publish under her name because it just doesn't seem realistic that she could average 4 normal length books everyday. And the fact that she never responds to criticism or questions about how she's doing it makes me think she has nothing to say that could defend herself. To not want to defend yourself at all seems very bizarre to me - if people were accusing me of being a fraud, I'd want to prove otherwise.

And now we know she's receiving ACRs and not disclosing that fact, which is not only deceptive and shill-like but also against the law (for the very reason that it's shill-like). Plus, apparently the books coming from her do not appear to have been opened or read which suggests the reviews are fake. Those kind of things bother people when all they want is to see honest reviews. Sure, I accept there will be false reviews out there but to see one account with thousands of potentially fake reviews and Amazon does nothing about it, it's very frustrating and I would like to see her account and all her reviews deleted.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”