Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 22nd, 2012, 6:07 am

Glad they caught it, Amanda!
My worst thing today is that my daughter in law went in for a second trimester ultrasound and no heartbeat.
She is devastated. There will be expensive and painful removal necessary next week. The Grandkids are still all excited about their new sibling, and nobody has the heart to explain it to them.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 22nd, 2012, 8:41 am

@ Amanda: Glad to hear that things turned out okay, Amanda. I guess the worst thing turned out to be the best thing even though it was no fun at all - luckily the problem was dealt with before it did any permanent damage. All the best for your recovery.

@ MLE: How terribly sad for you all - so hard to deal with random cruel stuff like this :(
Last edited by annis on Sat September 22nd, 2012, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat September 22nd, 2012, 10:55 am

That's lucky, Amanda. Hope you are feeling OK.

That's really sad news, MLE. So sorry to hear that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 22nd, 2012, 11:21 am

Glad you're OK Amanda, I think hernias are quite common from pregnancy, a colleague has just had surgery for one after her second child. I did smile at the thought of you pushing yours back in!

So sorry to hear your news MLE, and wish you and your family the best during the next few days.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat September 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm

Amanda, so glad they caught it in time. MLE, so sorry for your family's loss.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

fljustice
Bibliophile

Message from LoveHistory

Post by fljustice » Thu September 27th, 2012, 4:58 pm

LoveHistory sent me a personal email asking that I post here. Her youngest son (and most autistic) is diabetic and they are at the Mayo Clinic in MN. She says,

"We need all the prayers and good thoughts we can get. Don't know how long we will be here...Husband and other kids are at home. I am using a hospital iPad, which is different for me. They are trying to get me a laptop, but for now I will be offline most of the time. Very worried and a little scared, but I know this is the best possible place to be for this."

Sending good thoughts her way and know the rest of you good folks will do the same.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat September 29th, 2012, 6:37 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]LoveHistory sent me a personal email asking that I post here. Her youngest son (and most autistic) is diabetic and they are at the Mayo Clinic in MN. She says,

"We need all the prayers and good thoughts we can get. Don't know how long we will be here...Husband and other kids are at home. I am using a hospital iPad, which is different for me. They are trying to get me a laptop, but for now I will be offline most of the time. Very worried and a little scared, but I know this is the best possible place to be for this."

Sending good thoughts her way and know the rest of you good folks will do the same.[/quote]

Faith, thank you for posting LH's message - have you had an update from her? I've been thinking of her & her family this last couple of days.

MLE - so sad to hear of your family's loss, wishing you strength to deal with it!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun September 30th, 2012, 10:41 am

Sending hugs and good wishes to Love History. Hope all is well.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun September 30th, 2012, 2:48 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Faith, thank you for posting LH's message - have you had an update from her? I've been thinking of her & her family this last couple of days.[/quote]

I haven't heard yet. Will send an email today and see how she's doing. Will pass on everyone's good wishes.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon October 1st, 2012, 2:10 pm

LoveHistory got back to me yesterday. She and her son are still at the Mayo clinic but she thinks they may be able to go home at the end of this week and continue his care locally. He's been diagnosed with Type I diabetes which means restricted diet and daily meds. Things are looking much better and she sends her thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts from her friends here on the forum.

Return to “Chat”