Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Michelle2
Scribbler

Post by Michelle2 » Thu October 30th, 2008, 2:05 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Which one is it? I don't read true crime anymore, but she's the grande dame of the true crime genre. It's been years but Small Sacrifices still sends chills down my spine just thinking of Diane Downs.[/quote]

The End of the Dream....The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up

Small Sacrifices was a very good book; wasn't Diane Downs on Sally Jesse Raphael via satellite a few times? She's written many great books but another standout was the book about Thomas Capano...I forget the title at the moment but it gave me goosebumps.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 30th, 2008, 2:33 am

The Wettest county in the world. Its HF, but about prohibition during the 20s in rural..somewhere. ANyway, there are no quotation marks, so thats a little annoying.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 30th, 2008, 12:23 pm

[quote=""Michelle2""]The End of the Dream....The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up

Small Sacrifices was a very good book; wasn't Diane Downs on Sally Jesse Raphael via satellite a few times? She's written many great books but another standout was the book about Thomas Capano...I forget the title at the moment but it gave me goosebumps.[/quote]

Is that her new one? I haven't followed her much lately (I'm too stuck in the past :) ) No I never saw Downs on SJR, that would have been something - she was one crazy woman. She does write a heck of a book though. Ever hear the story she and her daughter told after Ridgway was arrested? It was common knowledge that she would write a book if and when the Green River Killer was arrested and her daughter recognized him as a man she saw hanging out at one of her book signings. That would creep me out big time.

I just started Silver Lining by Maggie Osborn.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 30th, 2008, 4:07 pm

I've just started The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent, after finishing the wonderful Daphne by Justine Picardie.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Thu October 30th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I am almost in the middle of Devil´s Brood and it is hard to put it down...

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 30th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Man everythign I am reading is dull as tombs! I have the wettest county in the world, YAWN. And I have Cherrbrook Rose. DOUBLE YAWN. I need somethign good...quickly!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu October 30th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Right now I am in the middle of The Library Paradox by Catherine Shaw. Interesting, but I am having a very difficult time coping with the level of anti-Semitism in it. Also finished The Crimson Thread by Suzanne Weyn, The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn (nonfiction). Next up will either be The Glass of Time by Michael Cox, or EC's A Place Beyond Courage.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu October 30th, 2008, 11:43 pm

[quote=""Laura""]I am almost in the middle of Devil´s Brood and it is hard to put it down...[/quote]

I'm also nearly in the middle of Devil's Brood. I wish I had more time to read it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri October 31st, 2008, 7:01 am

I'm just about to start Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman, my first Penman book !

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri October 31st, 2008, 9:08 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Just started reading "The Lost Diary of Don Juan" by Douglas Carlton Abrams. Only a couple of pages into it so too early to make any comments.

It's the book we chose for our first book group.[/quote]

Right, so I finished this a couple of days ago and we had our book group meeting on it last night. Not sure when I'll have time to do a proper review but, in short, it wasn't much good! And all of us in the group agreed. It could have been a right old swashbuckler, but it wasn't. It could have been a torrid romance, but it wasn't. It could have been a serious work of historical fiction, but it wasn't. It could have had characters you cared about, but it didn't. Not a complete disaster but a missed opportunity.

Return to “Archives”