Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2012 London Olympics

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat July 28th, 2012, 11:48 am

No, probably not. She's a good sport!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat July 28th, 2012, 11:56 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Wow, I can't believe they got the Queen do that bit with "James Bond", Daniel Craig! How great was that!

SM[/quote]

This is why I love the Queen :D

I also thought it was hilarious that the Czech Republic showed up in wellies and umbrellas - they came truly prepared for English weather! I was almost disappointed for them that it didn't rain, lol.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat July 28th, 2012, 2:04 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]I also thought it was hilarious that the Czech Republic showed up in wellies and umbrellas - they came truly prepared for English weather! I was almost disappointed for them that it didn't rain, lol.[/quote]

it did rain -- this is England. Believe me I live within spitting distance of the stadium and we definitely did have rain just not while the teams were parading and not for long.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sat July 28th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Bermuda's delegation wore their famed shorts! :D

I stayed up til 11:45 pm to watch. It was fun to watch. At times it was neat to see the Queen and other members of the royal family. Queen Sofia of Spain was shown, standing and waving. When I went to bed for the night, Sir Paul McCarthy was singing the opening lines of "Hey Jude."

The downer: Matt Lauer's (from NBC's "Today" show) commentary throughout the ceremony. Some of it was completely unnecessary! Meredith commented for part of it. Don't get me started on Ryan Seacrest's interview with Michael Phelps!
Last edited by princess garnet on Sat July 28th, 2012, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat July 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm

[quote=""SGM""]it did rain -- this is England. Believe me I live within spitting distance of the stadium and we definitely did have rain just not while the teams were parading and not for long.[/quote]

I'm also pretty near - 5 stops on the train/tube but I didn't think it rained out my way; perhaps just a short shower? It did look threatening earlier on so I wouldn't be surprised if it did rain.

I liked their wellies too ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat July 28th, 2012, 4:37 pm

At first I didn't think it was the Queen either, then I took a closer work -- and let's face it, you can't fake those rooms or the art. But It was all taken in great fun, and somehow, she must have agreed -- evidently she has a wicked sense of humour. Does this mean she's a Bond girl now? ;)

David Beckham roaring up the Thames like hail, the conquering hero. Woof.

The whole spectacle of the opening sequence, with the forging of the rings. And of course, that cauldron. Fantastic work and showmanship. I don't think anything will equal the opening of the Beijing games, but London did a damn fine job.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat July 28th, 2012, 6:32 pm

[quote=""princess garnet""]
The downer: Matt Lauer's (from NBC's "Today" show) commentary throughout the ceremony. Some of it was completely unnecessary! Meredith commented for part of it. Don't get me started on Ryan Seacrest's interview with Michael Phelps![/quote]

Yeah. I'm like stop talking! At least they didnt talk too much.

I thought it was great until they rolled out with the kid hospital thing and then I was bored. I think it could have ended with the rising of the rings and then the parade of people

I thought Paul singing was horrible. he sounded strained and off key. I know he is an icon but it was still painful.

The cauldron was way cool. I liked it a lot and thought it was super neat.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat July 28th, 2012, 6:50 pm

[quote=""SGM""]it did rain -- this is England. Believe me I live within spitting distance of the stadium and we definitely did have rain just not while the teams were parading and not for long.[/quote]

Ah well, it didn't look like it on TV and it was clear skies all night here in Manchester (for once). It was freezing though - I was watching the ceremony outside at MediaCityUK, the new BBC headquarters, where there's a big screen and "dock bar": http://www.facebook.com/DockBarMediaCityUK - it took me about 2 hours to fully warm up when we got home!

Oh, and it's pouring at the moment, lol.
Divia wrote:I thought Paul singing was horrible. he sounded strained and off key. I know he is an icon but it was still painful.
Yeah, sadly, that's just what happens when people get into old age.
Last edited by Mythica on Sat July 28th, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat July 28th, 2012, 7:18 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm also pretty near - 5 stops on the train/tube but I didn't think it rained out my way; perhaps just a short shower? It did look threatening earlier on so I wouldn't be surprised if it did rain.

I liked their wellies too ;) [/quote]

Yep, there was definitely rain just not the usual torrents so it was easy to miss. I woud notice because I had a bet on it.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 28th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Yes, Sir Paul is definitely a British icon, but sadly, age has caught up with that once angelic voice. There was a noticeable cock-up at the start of Hey Jude as well- Paul was well out of sync with everyone else for a bit there.

Return to “Chat”