Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pictorial Reviews

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Pictorial Reviews

Post by Ludmilla » Thu July 26th, 2012, 1:22 pm

I'm starting to hate this trend of loading reviews with lots of pictures to illustrate a point (often snarky, or funny). But what I hate even more is when the picture replaces the words. I'm finding more and more reviewers doing this at GoodReads and similar sites. It's overkill and more often than not puts me off the reviewer.

Am I alone? Do you like this trend? Maybe I'm just grumpy.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 26th, 2012, 2:33 pm

I don't mind it on occasion, but it does go a bit too far at times, especially now that everyone's doing gifs and what not.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu July 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I think it's cute, in small doses. If it starts slowing down my feed, it's irritating.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat July 28th, 2012, 1:52 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I think it's cute, in small doses. If it starts slowing down my feed, it's irritating.[/quote]

Goodreads did *fix* this problem in the feeds, with one minor flaw - if a friend (say BB) has a review filled with GIFs and whatnot, I wouldn't see those images in my feeds. If Ludmilla liked BB's review, I would see the GIFs and whatnot a the top of my review in my feeds. And that is the big problem at GR, if multiple friends *like* reviews like this, even if I'm not friends with said reviewer, I end up getting those images dumped in my feeds. One was particularly nasty, some girl in bright bright orange spinning like a top. It was 5AM. It wasn't pretty.

PS, you want too many GIFS and images, see this book.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat July 28th, 2012, 3:05 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Goodreads did *fix* this problem in the feeds, with one minor flaw - if a friend (say BB) has a review filled with GIFs and whatnot, I wouldn't see those images in my feeds. If Ludmilla liked BB's review, I would see the GIFs and whatnot a the top of my review in my feeds. And that is the big problem at GR, if multiple friends *like* reviews like this, even if I'm not friends with said reviewer, I end up getting those images dumped in my feeds. One was particularly nasty, some girl in bright bright orange spinning like a top. It was 5AM. It wasn't pretty.

PS, you want too many GIFS and images, see this book.[/quote]

OK I don't 'get' the pictorial reviews and after looking at them I still don't know what the book is about???? And why is everyone going crazy over a book they haven't read yet?

Bec :confused: :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat July 28th, 2012, 11:29 am

[quote=""Misfit""]
PS, you want too many GIFS and images, see this book.[/quote]

I haven't noticed this with any books I've come across on GR, I didn't even know it was a problem! Maybe it's more common in certain genres? Or unreleased books?

I can't help but think it has something to do with being young adult (and romance at the same time)... most of the reviews sound like teenage girls who have grown up in this kind of culture (text speech, smiley faces, avatars, animated gifs, etc) and don't know how else to express themselves yet. When I was a teen, I doubt I could have articulated a good review. But then, they're not even reviews because it hasn't been released yet - maybe once these girls have read it, the images will be replaced by a real review?

But yeah, that's annoying.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat July 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm

I think you'd be surprised at the ages of some of the reviewers doing this. I've noticed some bloggers are starting to go overboard with this, too. In book reviews, it does seem to be much more prevalent in YA and Romance. It reminds me of kids passing notes in school, not at all my style of communicating.

In hindsight, I probably should have called these illustrated reviews. Pictorial sounds clunky, but was the first word that popped in my head. Not sure what the masses call them.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Sat July 28th, 2012, 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat July 28th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I can totally see teens going crazy with the gifs. *sigh*

I wouldn't be able to stand that crap it would drive me insane. I hate it when websites have too much flashy crap on it and it takes forever to load. Unnecessary pics would be enough for me and I wouldn't go to that site anymore.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”